This is the thread that we talk about DMS Picnic

I can’t believe I didn’t think to factor that in. Great point!

3 Likes

But will there be cake?

Always cake. Always.

3 Likes

Here are some cost estimates of food based on a 100 person party. I’m estimating 2 hotdogs and 1.5 hamburgers per person - I would rather be safe and spend an extra $100 to ensure everyone eats rather we run out of food…it’s the mom in me. Take a look-see I’m sure I’m missing things. I estimated all on Sam’s because I could get the numbers online. I’ll be back with a 200 person party just for giggles. So I formatted it a bit strangely. The blue highlighted was the “product” I decided to go with. Let me know what see what you think and if I’ve made errors. The more I think of it- the more I think we will hit closer to 200.

I’m not sure how much charcoal its going to take. This is a world that I’m unaware of.

2 Likes

I just saw your agenda item for the board meeting. I’m switching my vote from McInnish because I cannot make June 4.

Is that still a thing?

It was such a rage at The Space last year even among some rather unexpected people. Now, nothing is said about it.

So this is my estimate for 200 people. Where’s Alan? We should put him on the estimating…he would have a field day with this.

Ok - FYI Dates are 100% up in the air - both parks a- I really don’t have time today to call and make a list of available times for the two parks. Got some adulting to do today.

The rough notes I made when I was talking to him:
McInnish was booked almost all May with one or two spots open he said
May 14 - Mary Heads available
June 4,7,11- McInnish available

I didn’t write down nor ask about every available time.

So - it just depends…

I already see an error- I don’t have water or ice. Ugh

Do we want premade patties? Winco sells a 10# “log o Beef” for very reasonable price. My brothers wedding we bought 20# made a lot of patties & grilled on my single Weber.

1 Like

I bet your beard smelt like delicious cow for a week after haha. On one grill? Seriously?

I know they would taste better/be fresher/be juicer if we made them - I’m just wondering about the commitment level of the cooks. That could all be prepped before the party and brought in. I just figured throw some frozen burgers on the grill and call it a day. But whatever you guys want to do I’m good with. The burgers average about $1 a pop from Sam’s (for just meat). What do you guys think.

The cost kinda snuck up on me quite a bit (how very makerspace right). I underestimated when I ballparked it as you can see.

I also think a better (and something I would feel better about) decision would be to look at borrowing or buying a big gatorade drink dispenser rather bottled water. Just so much plastic wasted.
If we purchased one they could be used often - 24h race, pot lucks, large classes, blacksmithing, any hot day in the workshop etc

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Gatorade-49031-3-Gallon-Cooler/dp/B00L6LKT58

Or buy a blank one, stick a Dallas Makerspace logo on it and call it “PR’s” (@Adam_Oas)

http://a.co/iGRw7up

edit: Don’t forget cups

I like the Idea. I’m not a purchasing officer, but would approve that as a purchase under PR funds.

2 Likes

That’s a MUCH better price. Amazon skilz

If we think 200 people may show up, it would be a good idea to see if there’s a way to reserve part of the park.

1 Like

Yep. One grill for 60 burgers with only one load of charcoal. Really didn’t take long to cook either. I want to say we got about 38-40 on the first run. The remainder on the second.

Now picturing Tim The Cook: “You like 'm RARE, right?”
:smile:

I’m sure we can get several grills there. I can bring another Weber. Dates still in the air?

I will call and get some dates and make a poll. And if it’s supported and funded we can lock in. I was also hoping to go around tomorrow and take some pictures and post them. If anyone else wants to do anything please just say so. I don’t intend to be a wrecking ball. I just need things to get moving.

I’m sure they wouldn’t care if we brought grills. Could you look at the amount of charcoal am I being crazy? @TBJK I’ve never grilled like that.

Anyone want me to see what I can find preprepared? I’m thinking a fajita setup might be around the same price point. Possibly if we hit mon and pop.