The Growing Economic Wage Gap

1 – not that easy (see: carried interest loophole)
2 – this would almost certainly create economic inefficiency and unintended consequences

The problem is companies and “megacorps” being able to make such outsize profits in the first place. And megacorps shouldn’t even be allowed to exist…that’s what all of our ill-enforced antitrust regulation is for.

Again, you just don’t get it. Punishing corporations for simply doing a good job is not smart, and taxing corporations is just an expense to them that will just get passed down to the end consumer.

Think about it: If you allow a child to overeat all the time and sit around all day, punishing the child for getting fat is not really the solution, is it?

2 Likes

the first thing to do it consider the Government the Fat kid, You cut down on their over eating and get them moving more. Same with the Government, you cut down on their spending (Eating), we can start with our elected officials, 75% pay cut and all raises are tied to Social Security raises… Second you working on reducing the the spending (exercise). It’s all do able but we’re going to have to get rid of everyone in Congress and the Senate to start… Term Limits…

No, but only because the college is likely tax-exempt.

If you rent a house or apartment, while you aren’t paying a property tax bill DIRECTLY, you are doing so indirectly, as your landlord is undoubtedly passing on the cost to you as part of the rent.

Several years back, when the state legislators decided to “lower property taxes statewide”, they may have done that - but they raised taxes elsewhere (gasoline, rental cars, hotel/motel, alcohol, cigarettes) to make up the difference. People just got to deduct fewer property taxes on their income tax.

Reps and Senators need to be paid more, not less. Do you really think paying a Senator $43k a year would do anything besides foster corruption and make it so only people who are already wealthy are able to hold office? I get that it’s a nice chunky talking point, but think through the consequences and it falls apart pretty quick.

2 Likes

In the same vein, term limits aren’t necessarily the answer cause they just encourage corruption faster. Oh I can’t run again? Well, no reason to try and maintain my constituency!

1 Like

I mean, all taxes affect everyone in the end. Everyone drives on the roads that property taxes pay to maintain. If I had kids, they would go to a school that was funded with those taxes. That’s how taxes work.*

• Unless your lawmakers just give it to their friends, which is a huge problem in Texas.
1 Like

I thought roads were funded mostly by taxes on fuel.

What about toll roads? They make money and they’re getting taxes?

What if your vote counts more the more percentage of your income you are taxed?

It’s about 25%. almost half (pretty much half) comes from the federal govt.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/economy/fiscal-notes/2016/may/road-finance.php

See exhibit 2.

Not sure how much of the federal money is fuel taxes.

[image]

Texas Motor Fuels Taxes

In Texas , gasoline and diesel fuel are subject to a 20-cent tax per gallon. In addition, the federal government imposes taxes of 18.4 cents per gallon on gasoline and 24.4 cents per gallon on diesel fuel .

1 Like

Any thoughts on why the $.06 disparity at the federal level?

When Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel was mandated it came in with Tax was increase. I assume that made it more “green” (no idea how). LSD … the new kind :wink:, cost more to produce so the government made even more expensive. Of course also have to add in the cost of DEF which is sort of a hidden cost/tax to the pump price.

Note: LSDF really does make a lot of difference in smog - when working in Europe where about 50% of cars were diesel and they didn’t have LSDF, the sky was noticeably brown. Strong supporter of LSDF - really does make difference.

Too bad VW cheated on diesel car engines and basically killed it off for cars. Besides fuel economy the engine life is much longer.

Money is green…duh. What do you think the Green New Deal was really about…the environment?

2 Likes

Banning farting cows.
Enjoy that BBQ while you can.

1 Like

Pay them more my a$$. HELL NO.

$43k? Would like to know where you got that figure and for what level of so called representation. Space cadet Ms Cortez is new to the dc clown collective and reportedly has a starting salary of $75k - not including any perks and bennies. If the moral /ethical values aren’t there, no amount of salary will make any difference. For some (most?) it’s about more money and more power. “Representation” be damned.
Many leave office far wealthier than when they started. Maybe someone would like to do a statistical study on this.

While your’e at it, how about an allowance for drug addicts. Fund what they need so they won’t have to resort to stealing, robbery, violence, etc. And don’t forget funding for clean needles.

rant off
for now

1 Like

Drugs, tobacco, alcohol (all of which are dangerous, addicting drugs), either legalize or decriminalize, tax the heck out of it, most importantly reserve a substantial segment Of the money for treatment of those who develop serious issues, the drug cartels are getting an immense amount of Money yet offer no help for those that develop problems from their products. Obviously, most people using those products are not having these serious problems, they live and function in the same neighborhoods you and I do.

I wouldn’t have a problem with criminalization and interdiction (the current policy) IF IT WORKED!
It doesn’t. One must realize that the “drug problem “ is the fact so many of our fellow citizens are willing to spend so much of their wealth on drugs.

1 Like

From Senate the report linked below “The compensation for most Senators, Representatives, Delegates, and the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico is $174,000 .”

Wikipedia but backed up by other articles. Texas Seantors make:

Salary of legislative officials

State legislators in Texas make $600 per month, or $7,200 per year, plus a per diem of $221 for every day the Legislature is in session (also including any special sessions).

1 Like

State legislators in Texas are in a session, every other year (unless there is a special session). It really isn’t a perk. Being a State Senator takes some commitment. State Reps don’t really do squat diddley

Depends on the road. The highway system is maintained by the State of Texas, but the road you take to the grocery store was mostly likely paid for from your City’s general fund, which gets most of its money from property taxes, but also sales and franchise taxes, permit fees, traffic fines, etc. All of these projects may also get funding from special tax bonds, federal and state grants, and other sources.

The idea that you pay one specific tax and get one very narrowly-siloed service doesn’t usually reflect reality. (Nor would we want it to, because if gas prices go down I still expect my potholes to get fixed.)

2 Likes

Or if overall gasoline demand significantly decreases!

Switching over to non-gasoline-based engines (electric, solar-powered, wind-powered car, smiles-n-rainbows powered car, Fred-Flintstone powered car, etc.) is going to be a real issue sooner rather than later, road quality & maintenance-wise, if gubmint(s) don’t get ahead of it soon.

1 Like