The Growing Economic Wage Gap

And they meant it! Originally, voting was not tied to individual taxation, nor vice-versa; the only federal taxes constitutionally provided for at the time were tariffs, excise taxes (both basically taxes based on economic activity that participants opted-in to) and direct taxes levied on the states as a whole but apportioned based on population; this was meant to provide for things like common defense. (I think I got this all right…maybe not quite?). All states had representation in congress, as well as the ability to manage their own affairs, including revenue-wise, within their respective state borders.

Which wasn’t right, but did reflect the mores and embedded social structures and behaviors of the time (as you know). And has subsequently over time been addressed, as designed, as the country incrementally strives toward being a more perfect union! (Happy 19th Amendment Anniversary , BTW!)

It happens more than you’d think…fully 1/3 of Americans are in this sorry state of affairs (we call them babies and children and teenagers).

Wait…that sounds like you are for people deciding what’s in their own best interests and making choices for themselves and their families based on that, and being allowed to live their own lives how they think is best…i.e. how very libertarian of you. Welcome to the club :partying_face:

edit:

+1 for use of word “schlub”! :–)

2 Likes

Must be nice… mine is about 2.5x what we bought it for about 11yrs ago.

Sorry, it took me a while to get around to it.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/quality-of-life-rankings

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-24/spain-tops-italy-as-world-s-healthiest-nation-while-u-s-slips

2 Likes

Unlike the comps that the Assessor came back with, I’ve effectively done zero upgrades, thus I take some umbrage at their assessment.

2 Likes

It seems so obvious after reading it but I’ve never thought about it like that before. :thinking:

Your thinking is a bit limited. You think if I’m a renter, I’m not paying property tax? You don’t think my landlord is jumping up my rent if his property tax goes up?

7 Likes

It seems like too many renters don’t see that. They expect the landlord to eat the increase. Or at least until the first time they get burned by it.

2 Likes

Yep…People often/tend to forget the age old adage: “There’s no such thing as a free lunch.” (i.e., everything has to be paid for by someone at some point.)

This “who actually pays for a property tax increase” is why everyone running around yelling “tax the corporations more, tax the corporations moar!” just don’t get it. Corporations look at taxes like any other expense line item on their P&L, like raw materials, utilities (electric, water), rent, and labor. Who do the “Tax the corporations!” crowd think is actually going to pay those taxes?

So, another axiom: Corporations don’t pay taxes, they collect them.

4 Likes

I’m thinking that the vast majority of renters do not believe they are paying property and school taxes because they don’t see them, “out of sight, out of mind”. If they had to pay the property and school taxes the way home owners do you’d see a change in the system. The Second part of that is those counties that have colleges and universities. College students get to vote in local elections even though they have no real link to the community.

Taxes should only be voted on by those who pay them. One Tax bill, one vote.

These statements are in direct opposition

College students get to vote in local elections even though they have no real link to the community.

Taxes should only be voted on by those who pay them

College students pay state and local sales taxes, gasoline tax, whatever taxes are added onto their utility bills, and on and on. Why should college students have no say if the state, for example, decides to raise the statewide sales tax by a penny per dollar?

1 Like

Two tax bills, two votes?

1 Like

Your Dorm bill had Property and School tax listed on them?

for the most part college students are like a flock of sea gulls, come in from no where, make a lot of noise, shit on everything they can’t eat and then leave

2 Likes

If only :–)

Ok, most of them leave. quit leaving food out…

1 Like

Easy solution - put an additional 20% tax on share buybacks to make them equal to dividends while also raising the corporate income tax. Right now, taxes are low and it is a stupidly cheap to return cash to shareholders. Make it more expensive and megacorps will have a much greater incentive to reinvest in themselves and their employees.

3 Likes

Yep, there’s a reason that the top marginal rate was 90%ish for the postwar boom. Hoarding cash is bad for the economy.

1 Like

College students pay state and local sales taxes, gasoline tax, whatever taxes are added onto their utility bills, and on and on.

Not sure why you chose to ignore my reply. I’m replying so you’ll know why I’m ignoring your account now.

look about two replies down and you’ll see my reply to you.

But you can ignore me, doesn’t hurt my feelings, I’m good…

1 Like

Probably not. The Majority of corporations are run and owned by people who’s are only concerned about how much money they make.

That was before the goverment figured out that just printing it was easier and more popular than taxing people for it. About the only good thing about being old is the fact that I’m probably not going to have to worry about paying it back. Have fun with that!

1 Like