The Growing Economic Wage Gap

And while the residential streets are nearly always city funded, anything with a F.M. Designation is a state road and state funded. And often the big feeder roads within cities may have substantial county funding in the mix. It can get complicated.

I can think of one interchange along Sam Rayburn that has been built with funding from at least:
TXDOT
NTTA
The local city
The cities Economic Development Corporation
The applicable Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone

And it wouldn’t surprise me if some county money made it in there somewhere, but I can’t confirm it at this time.

2 Likes

Don’t forget DART sometimes invests in infrastructure, too.

1 Like

Diesel is more energy dense than gasoline is by about 10%, which translates to more miles per gallon of fuel. This was surely part of the calculus.

The other is that diesel is much more frequently consumed by commercial operators of all sizes and thus it’s a tax that can be passed along to everyone without anyone really noticing it.

1 Like

Haley_Moore, I understand your argument, but this is not reality. After I graduated from high school, I attended a Jr college in my adjacent county. I did not reside in that county, but my parents owned and paid specific taxes to the Jr college on a couple of hundred acres of farmland in that county. Since my address wasn’t in the county that the college was in, I got the “privilege” of paying double what the apartment dwellers were paying that moved in at the beginning of the semester. Furthermore, there was no college in my county of residence. What made the situation even more bitter was, that since my parent didn’t live in the county that they were forced to pay taxes, they coundn’t even vote to correct the problem. This is the epitome of taxation without representation. It sickens me that individuals can vote on issues that benefit them where they have nothing to lose.

The jobs where one is paid to not understand stuff are usually very elite and high paid, think tobacco executive that didn’t know that nicotine is addictive, or high government officials. I have spent my career trapped in positions that depended on understanding the subject matter and not being paid quite so well.

4 Likes

Well…yeah. Property can’t vote. It’s not human.

I apologize. That was flip and insufficient to address the logical problems I have with your example. Here’s more of my thinking.

First of all, people who rent pay property tax; it’s just that their landlord collects rent and then pays the full amount with the tenants’ money. It doesn’t matter who signs the check; the money comes from the tenants.

Second, property tax doesn’t tax people, it taxes property. Since you said it’s farmland and not, like, a summer house, I assume you’re either farming on it, or you’re renting it to someone. Maybe leasing the mineral rights, or maybe just holding onto it until you can sell it at a profit. Either way, just like the tenant with the landlord, you’re already being made whole by the value the land generates for you.

And last, colleges and universities have the most diverse funding sources of pretty much anything I can think of. They get money from all sorts of people who will never go to that individual school and may not even know it exists, through state and federal taxes, NGOs, grants, etc. etc. Sometimes that funding just goes to support one course inside a whole university system. So yeah, like I said, it’s not one funding source in, one service out.

By the way, I personally think we should fund universal college with taxes and not charge individuals tuition at all. But as it stands, I think the situation you described is fair.

3 Likes

So I should tell the assessor to hit my property up for the tax instead of asking me for it?

Using that tortured line of thinking, income tax doesn’t tax people, it taxes income. Gas tax don’t tax people, it taxes gas. Sales tax doesn’t tax people, it taxes goods…

I know it sounds weird, but think about it. If I sell my house free and clear, it gets turned into liquid assets for me, but the other party still has to pay the property taxes. The tax follows the property.

It’s a tax on a person by virtue of property ownership. The property owner has to pay the tax personally regardless of the use of the property, its income generation or lack thereof, and whether it is appreciating in value or not.

One can play semantic games all day long but in the end a person is paying the tax.

The government can, in fact, collect from the property directly if no human will pay them in human dollars. By seizing the property.

A distinction without a difference. Something of value is being paid (taken) from the human in either case.

What if I have various and assorted people buried on said property. Does this “hypothetical” example square the circle for everyone?

3 Likes

There are 22 factors at play here please fill out by hand in triplicate the 11 page Form Texas tax code zombies 1998.23.56.3. You can fill it out online but there is a $22 convenience fee. (Yes we know online is less work for us but we know you want to fill it out online bad enough to pay $22) did I mention the 2.50 online payment processing fee.

1 Like

In Chicago, maybe.

1 Like

lol…in Chicago, they’d still get to vote. Twice.

2 Likes

It’s :laughing: cuz it’s true. :–)

1 Like

Then you have created an easement in perpetuity for the public as you cannot deny public access to cemeteries and grave sites in Texas.

I wondered about that. There’s at least one padlocked cemetery near me. On NW Hwy. Was lucky to visit it one day when the landscape crew was on site.

It’s because they are so popular…I hear everyone’s just dying to get in there!

BaDumTsss

3 Likes