Suggested potential partner for a new DMS location

I’d like to suggest that we investigate working with the artist group at the Continental Gin Building in Deep Ellum for a future expansion of the space, either as a satellite campus or as new location if we have to move after our current lease ends.

The Continental Gin Building Studios are the largest and oldest North Texas artist community based in the historical Continental Gin Building built in 1888. For over 30 years the building has housed professional studio spaces for local Dallas artists in the Deep Ellum Neighborhood immediately East of Downtown Dallas. It is 100% full, and has over 300 people on their waiting list for vacancies. Currently they are in a state of flux since the building is now owned by an investment group, and therefore the long term plans for the use of the building are very much in question. The artists are now starting to create a formalized structure the community they have put together to enable them to move to a new location in the short (6 months) to long (5+ years) future.

Astrud and I are current tenants in the building, and would be able to introduce the people at the DMS who would be doing the research into such a partnership arrangement.

Ideas, comments, questions?

2 Likes

I like the idea of having common work areas and rent-able studio spaces for individuals. Substantial storage space would also be a big plus. I think the biggest issue is finding a space of such size that it would be a possibility. I think it would be great for the space to have a complement of working artists. I think one of the best aspects of the space is putting people with hard skills next to people with artistic minds. I think everybody’s work is elevated by seeing people with different background work on their projects.

We are going to tour the gin building during the February maker crawl FYI.
Details on that after the holiday crash.

5 Likes

I think it’s a great idea as long as it never evolves into judging what people make. One of the benefits of Makerspace over other places is that it is a great place to learn without people judging you for making things they deem unworthy. As long as Makerspace continues to be a positive place for people who are learning and perks like studio/storage space are open to everyone regardless of skill level, I think it could be great to partner with other Maker-type groups.

4 Likes

Please not Deep Ellum for a next location. Is there anything even close to sufficient parking down there?

9 Likes

Agree with this though I guess the out of control and extortionate booting/towing in Dallas would mean that we wouldn’t have some of the parking issues that we have now.

1 Like

Renting studios, offices, and warehouse cages has oft been presented as a model for financing expansion/larger spaces. There are some prickly organizational, legal, and cultural issues around such arrangements that would need to be worked out before we proceeded.

1 Like

There is no shortage of storage space near the DMS - you just have to choose which self storage you prefer

4 Likes

non monetary help…

3 Likes

Well,

We could help with management software, donations of some computing gear, and even some tools to help get it kicked off. DMS could also help with getting member boards and committees up to speed and with PR functions, etc. until they are flying solo. I see nothing wrong with that provided it’s clearly delineated that they have x amount of time before the safety net is removed.

We may need to help with initial funding if it’s a true satellite location to help with rent until the member levels are at self sustaining amounts.

1 Like

I disagree with a satellite part and the use of memer’s funding

3 Likes

While I love the idea of a makerspace with artist studios, I don t think
Deep Ellum is a good location for us It would be closet to me and that would be nice, but
we have far too much in and out traffic for a location like that and I would not like to see us try
to fit in to the culture of an established site.

We need to stay in this area

If we wanted to advise them and make suggestions, maybe even see if some our type of classes
would e welcome, We might could do that

This is a different version of the Garland idea, and still bad

There is a maker type space not too far from Deep Ellum

1 Like

I’m happy to volunteer to help another space start up and even join for a while to help with cash flow if another Makerspace appears to be managed well. I think it should be set up as a separate nonprofit and I don’t think that another Makerspace should receive DMS money. It’s fine with me if DMS donates extra tools though.

4 Likes

Well, then we could do a member donation drive to help the founding of a new satellite or separate space. Unless there are founding members with deep enough pockets or corporate money, it’s not that easy to get off the ground.

1 Like

Someone correct me if I’m reading this wrong, but the suggested partner already exists, in Deep Ellum, but has an insecure future in the building they lease (in Deep Ellum) due to landlord status. So we are NOT suggesting a Deep Ellum location; only suggesting partnering with a group currently housed there. Among the goals of that partnership might be, for example, co-location, which is to say, new bigger digs for DMS while simultaneously making their future location more secure.

Have I got that right?

1 Like

Yeah, but…

They are already in Deep Ellum and would probably prefer to stay there.

1 Like

While I do not doubt the voracity of this statement, I do not find it expressed nor implied in the original post.

I have read about other Makerspaces postulating this model as a revenue-generator. I question whether it would be viable for us … why would people want to rent space when they can already use the worktables and workshops for free?? Anyway, I’d like to hear whether this model is successful for any of the other Makerspaces or whether it just sounds good on paper.

1 Like

I’m not picking on you two, just wanting to keep building on those thoughts.

What capabilities would a different Makerspace need to have to entice you to spend some time there? Would it need to be something we don’t have at DMS, or would it just need to be more conveniently located? Or something else entirely?

Location is one, but DMS is pretty convenient from Highland Village. I can’t think of many tools that we don’t already have at DMS or that I don’t already have at home. A commercial kitchen would be a huge thing for me as I want to learn more about cooking techniques and things like breads and pastries.

I’m looking to learn more about CNC and CAD over time. I have my own desktop mill and a countertop mill to learn how to use.

1 Like