Suggested potential partner for a new DMS location

Re why some might rent studio workspace

I could see a scenario where maybe someone is doing involved projects that they’d like to be able to leave out, leave some of their tools, use as a place to make things for their small business, set their workspace up a certain way and leave it, etc.

Like say I lived in a tiny apartment (or just dont want to work from home) but wanted to set up a stained glass, weaving, pottery, complex woodworking, etc workspace. All things that once you spread out, it is nice to not have to completely make it vanish when leaving.

1 Like

@jast is correct, this is not a suggestion that we move the DMS to Deep Ellum. The Continental Gin Building is 100% full anyways, they have no space for us. I am suggesting that they would be a good partner to allow us to get into a much larger building building than we could on our own. This thread is meant to start a discussion on the two groups potentially working together when the DMS and/or the CGB is finally forced to move out of our current location due to space limitations.

@ESmith & @John_Marlow asked about the business model of renting studio space being viable, and have questions on the management of such an endeavor. I’ll try to give some info that should answer some of those questions below.

The CGB is over 60,000 square feet with approx. 50 studio spaces, is occupied by 60+ artists (Some of the larger studios are shared spaces), and there is a waiting list of over 300 people who want to move in. People have moved to Dallas from across the USA once they have secured a studio space in the CGB. There is a management team already in place with decades of experience running the existing facilities and community, and dealing with the city.

There is a pretty solid proven demand for private, small scale (sub 2000 square ft) workshop/studio space in the Dallas area just from the fact of the 300 person long waiting list to get in to the CGB. It has been successfully operated as a business for 32 years, and the only reason it is looking to potentially move is due to the owners of the building being an investment company looking to take advantage of the gentrification of Deep Ellum, not the failure of the business model.

1 Like

This is the main thing I have seen at other spaces. From what I have seen is that it should not be more than 25% of total floor space as it then becomes too dependent on the occupants. There was an issue with Artisans Asylum when they wanted to expand tool offerings and had to ask people to move out. Also, don’t allow people to rent more than 1-2 spots. If a person/group has 5 spots and then leave, that would be a problem. That was an issue that happened at the Columbus Idea Foundry (pretty sure it was them but it could have been another Makerspace). It can be a successful if done right but I think you would need at least 30K sqft or more and employees to make it work.

4 Likes

A few years ago I would have jumped at the chance to have a small
studio where I could keep my materials and some things and where I could work
My home is just over 800 sq f U gave never gad enough room to work at home

A 10x10 ft space would have been wonderful If I still had full sight, I would be
cosidering these folks

1 Like

Astrud and I looked at Acme, and it was a serious contender until we managed to grab a spot at the CGB by sheer lucky perfect timing on an email. The tooling available in their Makerspace is rather underwhelming, but then anything kinda is after being spoiled by the DMS…

3 Likes

CNG ? ;jpoipwoperueholjs

CGB = Continental Gin Building.

Got tired of typing out the entire thing… :wink: