Still Pictures with Green Screen

I am going to be donating a dollhouse to a local charity. They include pictures of items in their silent auction catalog and request that the donor provide the pictures.

Is it possible to use the green/blue screen and a DSLR to produce “marketing” pictures? If so, what software tools are used to do such a thing?

Thanks!

A white sheet draped over chairs for a backdrop and a couple of table lamps for lighting (or even better, using indirect sunlight) would probably get you what you need w/out needing to fool around with removing the green screen.

3 Likes

For still pictures you’re much better off using a white background like @HankCowdog said.

Green screening is best suited for video where you need to automatically remove the background.

2 Likes

Side note: Are we going to have a green screen? I know there are some fabric and poles somewhere.

The wall in digital media…?

There was some talk about painting it green as blue is not used very often

if you search around on talk there is a discussion about blue vs. green screen. It doesn’t need to be re-hashed IMO.

I used the word green out of habit, but chroma-keying is chroma-keying and the lighting is way more important than the color you use.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how much it matters.

1 Like

Yeah, I just never got around to ordering the paint and doing it… I was going to have it lit separately as well.

To answer your original question though, it’s too early to think about with the expansion looming. We don’t know who’s going to go where, so anything could happen at this point.

1 Like

I think you will have trouble with either green screen or blue screen because those are going to be picked up in the color of your dollhouse. No amount of correct lighting is going to eliminate a blue (or green) tinge reflected into or onto the dollhouse itself.

White background is the best. Fleece works well because it doesn’t show the wrinkles.

How elaborate is the outside perimeter of your dollhouse? Is it the dollhouse itself, or does it have landscaping? How many pictures do you envision? Roughly how big is the dollhouse?

[EDIT: @tombakerftw - does DM have a neutral grey card or equivalent for setting up color balance?]

2 Likes

I have found one of the Keys to good Keying is to light the green/blue screen separately and get the subject well back from it, so there is a clean line and no reflection from the screen to the subject.

2 Likes

1 Like

OK, got it. Looks like a very nice RGT dollhouse.

Yeh, the picket railing is going to make manually cutting out the background a bit of a nuisance. White background is a good idea.

Yup, RGT.

Ok, I’ll use white.

Thanks!

Doing green screen photos and video work I concur with Draco. I usually have subjects 5 to 6 feet away from my chroma-key backdrop. This also helps reduce the reflection of the chroma-key on the subject. In the current digital media this is tough in such a small area. If pics of the dollhouse were posted, it would make it easier to suggest how best to produce “marketing photos”. It may just need a cobbled together product popup like: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Loadstone-Studio-24-x-24-Black-LED-Lighting-Cube-Box-Table-Top-Photo-Shooting-Tent-for-Product-Photography-WMLS1683/109073860?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=309&adid=22222222227045138357&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=109167537077&wl4=pla-307232665037&wl5=9060266&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=111838529&wl11=online&wl12=109073860&wl13=&veh=sem

It’s a beautiful dollhouse. I hope it goes for a lot of money!

1 Like

See above :slight_smile: Note that I am NOT donating my daughter’s house. I’m building them an identical one.

1 Like

Yeah, it was posted as I was writing my response :wink: What type of photos are you wanting as far as “marketing”? Plain white like a typical product page or in a setting like grass/outside? With the white picket fence on a white background will either blend into background or look a little grey in comparison. Just my 2 cents. For something like this, I would suggest downloading a trial of Topaz ReMask. I’ve had some really good success with it on difficult masks.

I didn’t see one while I was doing inventory. In my experience a section of white poster board is more effective anyhow.

If OP isn’t familiar with setting manual white balance setting they might have better luck getting natural colors with whichever white balance preset is most applicable (tungsten vs. fluorescent vs. shade etc.)

1 Like