Status of the 3D Scanner

I may be a tad rusty and need to refresh myself a tad, but I might be able to squeeze a couple classes to help with the backlog that’s accumulated.

Cheers,
-Jim

P.S: If you need to build a new machine, ping me and infrastructure so that whatever machine you end up with has all the rights / domain join etc.

I cant wait to take the class. ive been looking forward to having the scanner back for so long now.

The one with the deducated software so be used why are we buying a new computer.

Because we do not have a computer to use with it

Why can’t we use one of the design computers in the interim?

1 Like

the one on the cart in digital media that it was hooled up to.

That printer was not 3d fabs and has been taken elsware

Which 3D scanner is this?

Is it the NextScan, or another?

What kind of computer does it need? I would be happy to donate a Mac or PC (Windows 10) or Linux machine for the purpose if someone can share with me what specs are required.

3 Likes

I do not see the design computers being used very often when i stop by. i am convinced they can have the scanner added without causing too many problems and saving DMS an extra expense

Personally i’d love the scanner to be attached to a laptop instead of a desktop, i know a desktop will almost definitely be more powerful, but sometimes its hard to argue with portability. I have some larger things that i want to scan and im not sure yall want me to drag an engine and a supercharger in to 3D Fab to scan.

That assumes that the unit is even capable of scanning objects that large. Has anyone learned what make/model of scanner we have? And I have an older Mac laptop that can be donated, but otherwise I only have modern PC/Mac/Linux desktops to give.

If its a new nextengine then it is capable of it. I’m under the impression thats what it is, mostly because thats the one thats been talked about most.

From their FAQ:
Field Size: 5.1" x 3.8" (Macro) and 13.5" x 10.1" (Wide). ProScan Extended Mode 22.5” x 16.75”.

we’ve got expanded software but I don’t know if it is their ProScan. You can obviously take as many small scans and join them for the larger items. cheers!

1 Like

I’ve poked around on their website, i was very happy when i saw that their software could stitch multiple scans together to create a larger scan.

1 Like

well yeah…but…it’s not as straight forward as you’d want. I have one of these and it is a fair amount of labor to get everything to fit right. But when you’re done you have a single entity you can export out.

Nothing ever is. lol. I get to deal with autocad’s little quarks every day, i cant wait to learn some new ones.

The NextScan software was ENORMOUS. The dedicated PC had a GPU, loads of RAM, and choked and locked regularly. If you scanned a point cloud with 160MB of data, you could expect a standard issue PC laptop to die horribly. Trimming the scans to bare minimum left you with a model that had bad precision, and approached unsuitability.

This is a sticky subject.

1 Like

Anyone concerned with the scanner and the PC we use with is welcome to come to the next 3d Fab meting where we will be discussing it.

When is that?