Status of the 3D Scanner

After watching the youtube video on the second scanner I posted a link to I would have to strongly disagree. That one for the most part is point and pull the trigger, the software part look easy and user friendly as well.

I used the old scanner on several occasions and had great successes with it for the projects I did

1 Like

My point was that if you scan 2 parts and want them to fit together closely the distance of the scanner from the object may cause fitting problems. If they are stand alone parts then the photogrammetry tool would probably do as well.

I’m not for or against any of the options discussed here. I’m just trying to point out some possible edge issues with the scanners. I think that a really powerful use of a 3D scanner would be for scanning an object to make a piece that will fit that object. In effect using the scanner to measure an object.

Russell Ward

If you want the two parts to fit well, you really should be reverse engineering them, not just scanning them. 1/16" is gigantic in the machining world.

That’s practical for very orthogonal surfaces, but not very practical for organic surfaces.

1 Like

Here is a quick video on the Peel 2 hand held scanner

1 Like

At the 3D Fab meeting today, it was proposed that we buy a Einscan Pro 3D Scanner. This is a good machine. Also, the status of the NextEngine Scanner is essentially unknown. We don’t know if it is repaired or broken.

A couple of observations: The NextEngine, while it is slow and tedious, does amazingly accurate work, on any sized object you choose to scan. It utilizes an advanced concept of Laser Triangulation, which is inherent to machines costing 10X as much. I think it is worth repairing.

The new scanner is worth pursuing. Einscan is very fast and accurate, also it is easy to use. They have competitors in this price range; Peel-3D and David make comparable machines, but Einscan appears to be the best in class of these “structured light” scanners, and will suit many purposes within their prescribed size ranges.

The ultimate Scanner is a Zeiss, which we cannot afford at >$50K It’s funny, the company I work for was the global leader in spectrophotometer scanners in 2D for 30 years; they were the foundation of the Graphic Arts industry. We used to sell these things for $250k, back when that was a lot of money, and people fell over themselves to get in line.

It was voiced at the meeting, that we should seek out a supplier who can bring us a scanner to try out. I found a rental company in Houston, but no one who would just loan us a demo.

Sub $50k, I think you’re going to have a tough time getting someone to come out for a demo. You may find someone you can visit and you should be able to send some parts in and have them scan them however. At least that’s how we did it when I sold laser scanners.

1 Like

Where is our NextEngine Scanner?

2 Likes

I really like the idea of a handheld, but it’s hard to argue with the ~2500 for the NextEngine

It’s a weird slope; at 1st the techs at NextEngine told us “your scanner is in terrible shape, irreparable”. Then we heard that it had been fixed for $430. Now it’s dead again. I don’t know what to think, but will take the chair’s word for it; it’s dead.

What to do? There is a Committee Meeting coming up, where we are to present replacement candidate machines for consideration of purchase. I suggest that we peruse the market, find a suitable replacement, and present our suggestions. Tabling the motion to purchase for lack of data or research is unacceptable. Do your homework, or don’t show-up!

What, exactly, is your NextEngine scanner doing wrong?

“Won’t power on”, someone gave it to me to troubleshoot, but didn’t give me the turntable or the software license.

1 Like

Where is the scanner that belongs to the Makerspace?

the answer is at the top of the thread

I read the thread, that email is a month old.

Does NextEngine have it? Is it in the space? Max’s car? Where is it?

Has there been any progress on this? If not ive been looking around at a few options and im my opinion taking NextEngine up on their offer seems like the best option we have for having a functional and very precise 3d scanner at the space again.

Had this conversation with @maxk68 yesterday. He said the new one would be here with in a week

2 Likes

I have suddenly become very excited! Thanks!

1 Like

The 3d Scanner has returned, I will be setting up classes for people to learn how to use it as well as getting a dedicated computer and software to run it.

7 Likes