Stargazing near Dallas - Now announcing the first ever Astronomy SIG campout

There are still sites available.

Dwight (@denzuko) , are you making bookings? or is that going to be an individual thing?

3 Likes

THIRD EDIT: Thereā€™s room for more yaā€™ll. @denzuko has the event scheduled on the calendar, but you might mention it here if youā€™ve signed up.

====

Iā€™m so glad you looked. It was on my list, but so was dinner. :slight_smile: @uglyknees said they were gone. Maybe a browser blip?

Anywayā€¦

Ok, I tagged @denzuko earlier and no response. Should we go ahead and pick up three? Read the rules as to how many people and how many tents on a site? (6 and 2 is the deal in WI.)

PMing you two my phone number so we can finish this up.

Last chance for anyone else who wants to watch Nicole camp without all her personal amenities. :wink:

Edit:

8 per site. That means you, me, @uglyknees and babyknees, my husband (possibly), your son (possibly?) plus @denzuko +1.

Iā€™m fine with the $18 fee. Should I do Friday night, too? Iā€™d be fine with $36. And if another site has already been reserved, we can still have one heck of cheap date.

Soā€¦ Iā€™m booking 1 site for Friday and Saturday right now.

2nd edit:

Done. 2 sites, 2 tents each site for a total of 4, 8 people per site for 16 total.

Water and electricity for all. Iā€™ll call tomorrow to get a better idea of where.

Bring it on!

1 Like

If you guys are talking about Cooper lake state park south, 2 tents per site. When we went it was first come first serve with the reservation. Each site had a picnic table with patio & ground mounted fire ring/grill. They also have primitive camping too.

4 Likes

ā€œPrimitiveā€ and ā€œCampingā€ are redundant terms or at the very least synonyms.

1 Like

LOL ~ right! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Honestly thoughā€¦ I just love to be outdoors when the weather is ā€œgoodā€ (in other words for me, ā€œnot too hotā€ ~ which excludes too many months each year here in Texasā€¦). Primitive or not ~ just being outdoors and away from the City is niceā€¦ :smiley:

Agreed, but I have my own definitions:

:star: No cost, logoed Orange jumpsuit with DOC on back provided. Fresh towel weekly.
:star::star: same 1 Star, but Club Fed and no hairy bellied muscle bound giant winking at you. Update: informed designer ware is Brown not Orange, per Chris M.
:star::star::star: hotel outside around the pool no pool side bar service, is a primitive/camping.
:star::star::star::star: is merely roughing it ā€¦ unless on expense account,
:star::star::star::star::star: means on expense account, late check-out (allows hangover to dissipate), and theyā€™ll list massages as ā€œmealsā€ (gawd I hate Travel Expense Auditors)

Sleeping outdoors in tents or on the ground, thatā€™s like a neanderthal LARP re-renactment event. No stars, in fact a black hole is a better description.

4 Likes

Bwahaha!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

I have a nice little tent that it super easy to pitch... and my grandson and I have cots that we used to use to sleep on; but, now we sleep on our zero gravity chairs ~ LOL!

Since we usually go camping on the beach around the Padre / Corpus area - it doesnā€™t really matter a whole lot whether we get the primitive sites or camp in a camp ground with water/electricity/toilets/showers/etcā€¦ We can always walk to the nearest ā€œfancy beachā€ and take a quick shower there if we donā€™t have shower houses or solar showers with us at the time. We never really ā€œrough itā€ like a lot of people I know ~ since we usually have coolers full of fresh water and snacks ~ n0m n0m; and, can always charge our cell phones via our solar panels if thereā€™s no electricity (though phones stay charged primarily for emergency purposesā€¦ We try to limit our ā€œelectronicsā€ time to first thing in the morning, and last thing before bed - to check in with my daughter and occasionally post a kewl pic to social mediaā€¦ heheā€¦).

2 Likes

You were able to get a site? I even called to see if it was a blip and they said no dice. Awesome!

I wonā€™t be able to make it out Friday night but we will come as early as possible early Saturday morning to setup to enjoy the day and Iā€™ll pay whatever however.

Yup. Adventure time.

3 Likes

I am signed-up via the Events page. Not sure if the better 9/10 will be joining.

2 Likes

Nice way to hijack a thread, guys. Do you mind moving those last four or five to a different spot so that they donā€™t get in the way of our putting this thing together?

Thanks.

1 Like

Hereā€™s a link to the pdf of the campsite.

Iā€™ve added a couple of screenshots, too.

It looks like, although it will be fun to be clustered together, it might not be absolutely necessary, so we have some flexibility. Iā€™ll ask today about using the day are called Honey Creek for night time viewing. I suspect thatā€™s a parking lot. Not terribly romantic, but at least cleared enough to look up.

Now to snag a third reservationā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m in for one or two nights depending on the group, Nicole said Saturday only.

@mreynolds @denzuko @darrent What do you prefer?

Just after I sold off all my camping gear in a garage sale. :wink:

Oh well that last two DMS camping trips were fun, good luck guys & gals!

2 Likes

I have a festival at my sons school till 9p on Friday. We will come as soon as we wakeā€¦to well Iā€™m not entirely sureā€¦butā€¦I figure we will fight with sticks and fireā€¦so he will be happy.
Looking forward to it.

So tell me how does the pizza guy know where the tent is? And can we pay to not have bugs?
Kidding kidding

1 Like

Tell me more about this two star hairy belly winking man optionā€¦I like I like

1 Like

Thank you for reserving a campsite.

1 Like

Well Crap let me try that again.

1 Like

Thank you for reserving a campsite!

1 Like

Club Feb provides brown jumpsuits.

1 Like