Stargazing near Dallas - Now announcing the first ever Astronomy SIG campout

Yes that is a parking lot for the boat ramp. If I remember correctly it had some lights in it though.

Quite a few lights ā€¦

3 Likes

There is a trail with a wooden bridge to the right, that may be dark enough. It goes from one of the campsites to the boat parking.

1 Like

Whoa. Thatā€™s good use of the technology!

The shoreline might be a good idea, or what @tbjk suggested.

Rearranged the reservations. There is now 1 campsite for both Friday and Saturday nights. Let me know if you are planning to go on Friday and I can put your name to that reservation. (I may or may not, depending on whether or not 2 other tents want to be there.)

There are 2 more reservations for 2 tents each on Saturday night. (Saturday night is a total of 3 sites for 6 tents.)

Also, I called and they said that the lights are on all night. Our best bet, she thought, was a campsite near the water or we were welcome to use the swim beech near the entrance which is far away from other lights.

edit

Oh, and weā€™re in for $9 per tent per night for the cost. Iā€™ll cover whatever that doesnā€™t.

3 Likes

Awesome thanks! I think Iā€™ll just be there the one night, Saturday

Sorry for the late notice, but is there room for 3 more people? Me, @Heather_Williamee and @SRichardson3D are interested :o

Saturday only.
20,19,ā€¦

Thereā€™s room for one more tent and several more people under the current
reservation.

The other side of the wooden bridge appears to go to the campsites in the Bright Star Camping Area. I imagine along shoreline is likely going to be the best roll of the die for watching the meteor shower. We can always checkout the ā€œswim beachā€ area (Heron Harbor Day Use Area on the map) after dark - the swim beach does have a restroom which likely has some form of external lighting.

Saw this today via Facebook

http://www.texasmonthly.com/travel/the-stars-at-night/

So who all is confirmed?

Mark and Jacob - tent one Saturday only
Cindy and husband - tent two Friday and Saturday
Nicole and Ayden - tent three Saturday only
Darren - tent four Saturday only
Ashley, Heather, Shaun - how many tents? Which days?
@Ashley_Newland @Heather_Williamee @SRichardson3D

??

Are we planning on a caravan?
Iā€™m going up Saturday morning

2 Likes

The better 9/10 and I will be there. I believe the official ā€˜check-inā€™ time for the camp sites is 2pm. So if folks are there earlier, you may get the pick of the litter so to speak.

A caravan would work for those whom have thier own transportation. In my case, lyft and uber daily while car is in the body shop, and a few others may want to go but cannot for simular reasons. Iā€™m thinking we could do a car pool to the site.

@denzuko ~ Are all of the members registered via the Calendar aware of this thread?

Also, how many spots (for individuals as well as tents) are still available?

I love to camp, but neither of my grandkids are interested in going. Silly lil party poopers.

At any rate, it looks like registration is still open on the calendar until 7 PM tonightā€¦ So others who havenā€™t spoken up on this thread may still be interestedā€¦

1 Like

I think thereā€™s room for one tent and several people given the list I received from @denzuko yesterday.

1 Like

Iā€™m so sorry you guys, but i think we are going to have to back out TT.TT
ty for trying to include us though

I donā€™t think I saw you on the listā€¦

Are all of the members registered via the Calendar aware of this thread?

They should be, most of them are already on this thread anyways. But as my usual Iā€™ll send out updates after the signup closes which would include a link to this thread.

1 Like

So whom bringing what for the potluck?

Iā€™m thinking a beef stew or french onion soup.

Iā€™m also bringing the cold brew and french press.