Stargazing near Dallas - Now announcing the first ever Astronomy SIG campout

I wonder if anyone on @Team_Calendar could shed light on the cancellation?

Either way, I’ll still go. @uglyknees promised snacks. Not much I won’t do for snacks

2 Likes

I rejected it.

1. It is not structured as a class.
  2. It is offsite.

I asked Dwight to resubmit it as an event instead of a class requesting honorarium.

6 Likes

Thanks for that info Bill :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For what it’s worth… The event - official or not - does not make or break the status of an Interest Group. If members want to join together as an Interest Group. Say it is so, and be. There are no official requirements or anything. Many Interest Groups opt to create a special wiki page to document projects they work on, contact information, etc… But that’s not even a requirement. The only “requirement” is that a group of members have a common interest and wish to work with each other on common goals, etc…

See this post for more info if you’d like…

2 Likes

…actually, the whole thread:

That’s cool. If someone wants to set up a SIG they’ll enjoy all that information.

I just want to have a beer under a dark sky and squiggy my toes in the dirt. I’m good for plans as they stand now. It looks like 4 members Plus all the plusses, which we’ll figure out later.

If it falls apart, the spouse and I will manage alone.

I want to thank everyone who participated in my quest for stargazing. I learned so much. Dark Sky map, different locations, that @ten9t6 does night sky photography, that @denzuko has a telescope. That the weekend of April 22, 23 is a good one for an average meteor shower.

This is the best of DMS, and I am grateful.

3 Likes

Some reason the origin event on the calendar was cancelled by external means. II’ve recreated the event:

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/2124

1 Like

sure thing. stargazing isn’t a requirement but a strong priority of the event.

I have some really cool star trail pics from Fort Davis (pointed North). They are fun, but you are correct that it is a rabbit whole that could consume a lot of time. haha

1 Like

This was originally submitted as a class for honoraria to Science. Since it is now an event it should make it to the calendar.

2 Likes

I’ll keep that in mind for next time. Usually I do things in a class structure but I’ve come to understand where the disconnect was on my end.

I’d like to commend Bill and Dwight for upstanding and transparent behavior. The issue is a rejection. Instead of whining and crying about favoritism and/or conspiracy, the clarifying question was asked and answered. I’d love to see such level-headed behavior on everything!

Wish there was an emoticon for cool-headed …

:sunglasses:

P.S. Yep. I flagged myself as off-topic. I know it is. Let’s (please) not continue down this rabbit-hole - I just wanted to give credit where credit is due.

8 Likes

Sounds like it was a simple case of auto-pilot kicking in when the first request was submitted. Nothing was read into it. Glitch was overcome. Just glad an event is on the calendar so others who might not use Talk have access.

1 Like

The event is on the calendar now for those of you who want to “wiggle” in.

I’m plus one. Does he need to make his own rsvp?

From how it reads, “DMS registration is free, but that we’ll be sharing the cost of the camping site”, I imagine each person registering would be helpful so Dwight (or whomever will be making reservations) will not only have the correct number of attendees to reserve enough spaces; but, also to help calculate the cost of the campsite per person ahead of time so each person can budget accordingly.

Of course, you and Dwight are the ones putting this together - so perhaps members should be asking you two what the expectations are. :wink: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’d like to be the nice guy and say yes plus ones are welcome but I’ll also want to point out that we’re needing to make reservations for a space and the national park may have issue with too many extras not accounted for so let’s have him rsvp as well please.

2 Likes

Question
I registered and I have a tent in my amazon prime checkout as we speak.

Have you reserved a site? I was going to go ahead and get one for Friday and Saturday night aside from the one for us just incase my little needed to go to sleep early and they are booked. PS I was just about to reserve it and it kicked me out to make an account and by time I came back my site and all the sites were GONE so frustrating.

Seeing that I can’t get a site of my own - is it ok if my 7 yr old comes along? He’s not 8 as noted. If not we will take our party somewhere else no problem.

1 Like

Are we still on? I need to manage a few supplies myself. Let’s wait to hear from @denzuko. Also, @mreynolds are you still going?

Anyone else?

I don’t know if there’ve been spaces reserved. But if we are still all full steam ahead, I think a 7 year old wouldn’t bother me. Can’t speak for the others, though.

Yep I’m still going, with or without y’all lol (preferably with)

2 Likes

But did someone reserve a site?

1 Like