Spindle/drum sander

Hi folks.
Any plans to acquire a spindle sander?
Really helps with shaping small projects…

-Alper

we had one when I joined but it has been off to the side missing pieces ever since. I think a part has to be custom made for it.

Yes a part is in the process of being made by @dr_cee with some assistance from me. We (actually @ChrisPattison made the original draft) have created a draft 3D model that needs some modifications to get it to fit properly. Once the model is finalized and fit properly (Chuck is making 3D prints to test fit) we will make the part from metal and reassemble the machine.

The process was delayed by Chucks recent trip to Europe with Nicole, but I am sure once he settles back in he will return to it.

Thanks a bunch!
Looking forward to it.
Let me know if I can help somehow…

-Alper

Just to toss out an alternative, what about a spindle kit for the drill press? Could do double duty. Something like:

1 Like

As long as we protect against damaging the drill press bearings: http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=20202&cat=1,42500. The problem is, people won’t care enough since it isn’t their drill press.

6 Likes

Thanks for the work again.

Curious about the status.
Any progress?
ETA?

Cheers.

@dr_cee has been the primary person working on this

Any update on the spindle sander? When will it be back in action?

Any updates on the spindle sander … Is the broken one getting fixed or is a new one going to be purchased? It sure would be nice to have a spindle sander in the wood shop!

I followed up with @dr_cee on Friday and from my understanding it only needs a gasket and new oil. @wandrson can you confirm? I am happy to help get it running ASAP any way I can.

2 Likes

We are still manufacturing the metal replacement parts. It does have 3D printed replacement parts, which allow it to function, but not sure how reliable they will be.

We have machined six aluminum rings to serve as blanks for the clamp part, and I will be machining one of those this evening into a ‘final’ ring. At which point we will need some TIG welding by someone to attach a bar of aluminum that will get machined into the ‘wing’.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update and help @wandrson! @LeeCJones Can anyone help us TIG weld aluminum?

1 Like

Alright, great! Sounds like it will be up and running very soon! Thank you for the feedback!

I found a link to a manual for the spindle sander. I emailed Andy at State Manufacturing to see if the part is available from them. If the cost is not too great it may be worth taking the burden of fabricating the part off our members hands. I own essentially the same sander made by Tannewitz/MAX and it was a very high use tool in my shop. Would be great for many of our projects at the space.

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/798/2378.pdf

2 Likes

I was never able to get State to respond, despite multiple calls and emails. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Maybe they are gone and their website is just still active.

Looked that way to me, but you never know.

So where did this ever end up?

I’m not sure which “Chuck” Walter ( @wandrson ) was working with, but I’m wondering a couple of things:

1. why aluminum?
  2. have we found a willing member to try TIGing these parts?
  3. if not have we decided for or against a professional?
  4. if against, where are we now?
  5. are Walter and Chuck willing to share their work so far (I presume there are 3d “sketches” at the least, since there was a 3d printed mockup)?

I believe you are looking for @dr_cee

2 Likes