Need a great TIG welder

@Azalaket @dr_cee @LeeCJones

Continuing the discussion from Spindle/drum sander:

Chuck and I are almost done with the replacement parts for the Spindle Sander in the wood shop Now we need someone reallty good (I have a LOT of time into these pieces) to weld a couple of pieces of 6061 Aluminum together. The ring below has enough to make two replacements. One side was messed up in the machining, but would serve well as a practice join for welding (a second practice piece to weld to it has been made). The piece to be welded into the small recess is shown in the photo with the blue die on it.

The following rendering will provide an idea of how they need to be combined

Chuck and I have been working on this on and off for the last six months and we are now in the final stages. Here are a few more crappy cell phone pictures of the parts and the 3D printed models we used to make sure all of our measurements were right before spending the HOURS nescessary to machine the parts.

2 Likes

My advice is get it professionally done. They will do proper weld prep, right rod, and create a good strong weld that can be machined back to roundness required.

David,

If @Azalaket is willing to pay for it from committee funds, that would be fine with me. However, just because I will break down in tears if I have to machine another piece doesn’t mean we couldn’t have one of our talented welders (such as yourself) give it a go. I am sure Andrew would pay for the materials needs (he has already offered to).

The reality is I have two other rings 90% machined, which represent MOST of the time spent in these parts. I could put together a replacement set of parts in about four hours… (But would prefer not to).

The only machining we expect after welding would be a little sanding on the belt sander in metal shop to relieve the bottom of the part. The fancy curves shown in the model are aesthetic and not critical to a functioning part,.

Beautiful work @wandrson,
I can’t wait to see this tool brought back to life. I remember we had a talented Tig welder that got us the donated welding machine, does anyone remember her name? She seemed willing to help when asked.

1 Like

My skills aren’t up to the level I’d want to attempt that. Also the TiG welder needs a new frequency pedal or some adjustment. Welding aluminum requires it itto fine tune as to go.

1 Like

The HF not currently stable? Do we know if anyone checked the spark gap adjustment?

@Afloyd

Andrew can you help out with this?

The best TIG welder I know who is nearby is Jennifer Cartwright.

I haven’t seen her at the space in a while, but I do work with her at my job. I’ll let her know some folks were curious when I see her in the morning.

1 Like

It was brought up in the metal shop meeting that the other tig machine was the better HF start. But we think the water pump is out in it. It’s on my list of things to do for repairs.

1 Like

Wow! The machined parts look great! Thank you for continuing to work on fixing the problem. It will be great to have the spindle / drum sander back on-line!

1 Like