Smoothing 3D prints?

In November 2014, @hardsuit posted a link to a product that supposedly smooths 3D prints by coating them.

Has anyone tried this product?

2 Likes

Very interesting. I’ve never cared for the bumpy surfaces of 3d printing. this could change my mind. I’ll wait to hear feedback as well.

1 Like

Have you seen the results from SLA resin printing?

I use XTC3D a lot and it’s great. Here’s an example of a drawer pull I coated, and a clear resin cast from a silicone mold. It was really important to get smooth edges, because I want to cast these in a metal-filled resin.

I would recommend giving your part a quick sand before applying. Pay close attention to:

• vertical sides and overhangs, as it tends to flow down and pool at the bottom.
  • filled horizontal surfaces, since they tend to be too rough for the resin to fill in one coat.

I always do two coats, and sand any problem areas between coats.

The resin is clear so you will still see some striations in your print. If you don’t want that, you’ll need to paint over the XTC3D.

6 Likes

sadly no. I don’t really know the differences in the types of materials used - just going by some of the samples I’ve seen. But, I’m listening and willing to learn. cheers!

2 Likes

Is it terribly viscous? How badly do you think it would obscure details? Thanks.

It’s usually cheaper and more practical to print stuff with FDM printing.

1 Like

It’s about the consistency of honey. You should apply it in as thin a layer as you can, I usually apply and then soak up what I don’t need with a sponge brush.

1 Like

Did the stovepipe come out too rough?

I’m just planning ahead. I haven’t gotten around to printing the stovepipe yet.

Although for the stovepipe specifically, since I want that to be black, I’d kinda like to print that in black resin (once the FormLabs is working/available/whatever.)

1 Like

Definitely less expensive, but I found the rough surface of FDM prints wholly unacceptable for smallish scale models.

1 Like