Small shear gauge questions

Continuing the discussion from Metal Shear, Grinder, Sander:

I seem to recall that the shear has a sign on it that limits its use to 14 gauge (or thinner). 2 questions:

(1) Do I remember correctly? Is it 14 gauge?
(2) Which gauge does it refer to? Stainless steel, Aluminum/Brass, and Copper each have different thicknesses. At 14 gauge:

Stainless Steel: 0.075"
Alum/Brass: 0.063"
Copper: 0.0863"

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s 16gauge, soft metals only. Not sure about the difference in gauge…I’ve never come across that before. Don’t cut hardened steel or hard metals, copper/silver/steel/brass can be bought in a soft or hard state. Copper, silver and brass can be annealed with a torch to soften it…aluminum and pewter have an annealing temperature too close to the melting point to anneal by hand.

The shear will cut a little thicker than 16 gauge if it’s soft so use discretion when it comes to the different gauge measurements–shouldn’t be such a difference that it will ruin the shear.

If we are talking about the shear in the metal shop it will cut non-hardened ferrous metals like steel as well. At least that is what the sign on it says, and Lee concurred when he showed me how to use it Saturday.

The key to knowing if your cutting too thick is the force you have to apply. If you are having to strain at all, your metal is either too thick or in hardened state and you should STOP and use some other means of cutting it.