Show and Tell September 2021

Empower Fellow Makers Through Your Work!

Inspire your fellow makers by posting to this thread with some photos and a description of something you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever).

Small craft projects, large CNC router projects, quick & dirty tools made by tools, and so much more happen at Dallas Makerspace. Cool things done at DMS by cool people often go unseen by our peers, not to mention the curious public. Post up here to share the interesting things you are doing with Dallas Makerspace this month!

These posts help promote cohesiveness and community at Dallas Makerspace, inspire others to make a cool something. and help our PR show off what can be done here using social media or blog posts (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Consider the following on each post, to help make for richer experiences:

• a QUALITY photo can help us with the vision
  • WHO you are, possibly for attribution outside of this venue, but also to help our fellow members get to know each other (or at least each other’s work)
  • WHAT you’ve made might not be immediately obvious, but even if it is, we :heart: a good story!
  • HOW you’ve made it (and perhaps HOW DMS helped) inspires others to follow along
  • WHY you made it (all about the inspiration, dontchaknow)
3 Likes

Introducing, the PhotoTet™

The general idea is that you 3D print (or eventually buy at Michael’s from me?) a tetrahedron that you use as a form for making “photocubes” in the interesting shape of a tetrahedron. The photos look up at you, can be made stackable, and have personal flair. And one form can make thousands of PhotoTets™. Or, . . . perhaps one day, . . . you can have me provide finished tetrahedrons for you from your own pictures as an online service.

Obviously, something like this needs software you can use for photo-editing, which I’ve mostly finished. (The video is a work in progress; and occasionally the program freezes until you click on a new browser tab and come back to the program.)

This is a project-in-progress, and I’m looking for alpha testers for feedback and just general opinions. I’d hate to invest a lot of time and money in this just to find out that no one’s interested. If you could please PM me on TALK to let me know that you want to try it out. Play with the software and tell me your main complaints. If you’ve got the slightest talent at folding straight lines, you should get by without the red plastic tetrahedron form for a while, although that product really makes it easier/more-professional.

Thanks in advance!

David

13 Likes

I’ve been making masks like crazy the last couple of days. 15 in total, not including the five I made for the class on Wednesday.

16 Likes

10 Likes

ARO (Analog ReadOut !) for my Taig lathe drilling tailstock. Bridgeport project with a turned/threaded piece on the Taig. Knurled knob previously made on the Colchester.

11 Likes

Slipcast dwarf wizard with lamp work orbs. Thanks Julie :slight_smile:

12 Likes

That is amazing!!! :open_mouth:

1 Like

I actually like my second one better, but I haven’t glued the orbs on yet :slight_smile: so…second coming soon. And some assorted unicorns in the near future as well. Now the hard part, figuring out how to ship the wizard in the photo for reasonable price but padded enough that his staff doesn’t break off again.

2 Likes

I laser cut and saddle-stitched patches to make a couple of logo’d ball caps.

The logo matches a solar-powered, backlit, plasma-cut sign I made for our cabin a few years back:

17 Likes

First light on my x-ray system for the home lab. Goal is to make an automated slicing system and do basic CTs of multilevel circuit boards

12 Likes

I’v been on Elk Lake in Michigan this past week at a quilt retreat. My project “finishes” were a couple of fairly heavily embroidered felted wool “pockets”. Basically an olden days version of a Fanny pack that women in the 1800’s and early 1900’s made to keep their hankies and such in beneath their skirts. Not made out of felted wool, though. That was just my choice.

The two sisters, Sue Nickels and Pat Holly, that have been leading this retreat series for the past seven years (eight if you count the “skipped-because-of-pandemic” year) liked wearing these cute little knit skirts, but were forever misplacing their cellphones since they didn’t have pockets. So during the off-year, started doing more research into the ladies pockets history, and developed a pattern or two. They shared the patterns and designs with those of us who had attended in 2019.

I had discovered that I really enjoyed doing copious amounts of stitching on wool, so decided to go that route. The design with the circular stitching pattern is my own design, and the other was adapted from one of the appliqué designs Sue had sent with the pocket pattern. I chose to do welt pockets instead of binding on the pocket opening, because binding on and interior corner is hard. Welt pockets look hard, but are actually pretty easy.

13 Likes

Wow Judy, those are gorgeous!

1 Like

Quite nice. This one has an old-world, Bavarian kinda feel to it.

2 Likes

I designed and forged a couple of latches for holding the Dutch doors on our horse stalls. Blackened with “blacksmith finish” - a combination of beeswax, boiled linseed oil, and turpentine.

10 Likes

17 inches tall 4 colors of green art glass, one is a sparklingly adventurine. And dichro.

20 Likes

So beautiful! You must have a trick for welt pockets. I have steered away from them because they seem so difficult.

1 Like

I love your Christmas tree. It has so much cheerful fluid movement to it.

1 Like

That’s so cool!

1 Like

These are beautiful!

1 Like