Dumb, dumber, dumberest questions

That was kinda my thought – the less expensive torch options, or the whole oxy-acetylene rig that we don’t have at DMS.

The pipe is only 1/2 inch and from what I’ve read, size matters. :wink: At least in regards to how the copper will dissipate the heat. Does it seem reasonable that a Lowes propane and torch could melt a brazing rod? I don’t really need to do lengthy brazing, just kind of a spot weld is what I’m thinking.

It will do just fine. Ive done 1 1/8" with propane before.

1 Like

I’ve left you 3 sticks of Stay Silv 15 on the HAAS table in Machine Shop.

6 Likes

Wow, thank you Tim! That is very generous of you! Thank you all for your input and advice, this place rocks!

1 Like

Pickup up just now. Thanks again Tim. I’m looking forard to trying my hand at brazing!

@TBJK well, I am a new convert to copper brazing! It is way easier than silver soldering because of the lack of flux and is seriously strong.

I had to use MAPP gas, as my skills with Propane are just not there, but MAPP gas is kinda fun (and cheap) too. I did some research and got lost in the weeds looking for a source to buy more of the same 15 sil-sol sticks you gave me. Where do you purchase from? I found it at Supply House but if you look around prices are all over the place.

Also, you said this, and I didn’t listen, and you were right… It doesn’t work on dissimilar metals. I tried to braze a 30 inch brass coated steel piano hinge to the side of one of those copper pipes. it stuck to the pipe alright but the brass just peeled off, and when I re-tried it after stripping it down to bare steel that definitely didn’t work. Any suggestions for either a source for pure copper piano hinges that are 24+ inches long, or is there a brazing rod that will let me attach steel to copper?

TIA to everyone who has helped with this project. I never thought it would take over a month, LOL

Would screws and JBWeld epoxy on the back work?

I thought about the ole trusty JB-Weld but not sure how it would hold up over time since the hinge will have a lot of pressure to hold the acrylic doors. What hoping for a more permanent situation.

JBWeld is 5000+ PSI strength once cured. The screws would help with any possible stability/vibration issues. I could see an advantage using a putty in mating the flat hinge to a round tube.

I’m not going to lie, I see the appeal of the putty mating the flat hinge to a round pipe, and maybe that is the best method in the end, we shall see. I appreciate the suggestion. But this is a good excuse to learn some new metalworking skills so if the right metal solution is out there and I can get my arms around it without it costing a fortune, I want to give that a shot first. This project was supposed to be sooo simple. ha ha ha. Version 2 will probably be built up at the MS.

1 Like

You can get it I believe at Home Depot & Lowes. They sell it with just a few sticks in a tube. I have also seen some that was square in shape.

Regarding the dis-similar metals. You can use 45% silver solder with white brazing flux to do that. Technically its white brazing but we just use the slang term silver solder. We use it to braze pressure piping to compressor, which is normally steel to copper. They sell a flux coated 45% rod, however I’m not a fan of it. It pops, spits & makes a damn mess. I use 45% non-flux coated sticks. I will give you a stick or two if you would like to try it. You will need white brazing flux for it. The base metal needs to be clean, IE no plating.

Thanks Tim, I did get some Lowes brazing rods but I don’t think they were the same composition as the ones you shared. If you are willing to share a couple of the 45%, it would be greatly appreciated and I have cash to offer. My research has educated me on how expensive these rods are. LOL. Have you ever bought from Supply House? I found the 15% * .050" x 1/8" x 20" rods for 28 rods for $119. It was the best deal per rod I have found so far on the 15%. They don’t seem to have the 45% non-fluxed in rod form but do have it is spool form. Is that the same?

The rod & spooled form is the same. The rod is easier to deal with. One of my frequented supply houses didn’t know about the 45% rod, he was just used to the blue or orange flux coated rod. Uncoiling while brazing can be a pain in the ass, that why I use the rod. Nothing like squeezed into an awkward as hell position while holding a torch, trying to unspool some more wire type, trying not to burn yourself or the equipment.

1 Like

Yeah, I have a new appreciation for HVAC and Plumbing guys. I have it easy with my project but I can’t imagine being in a cramped space and dealing with this kind of heat. Is MAPP gas hot enough for the 45%?

Try tinning the parts. Apply a coating of the filler rod to each part separately, then put them together and heat.
This ensures that they each bond properly to the filler.

2 Likes

I have done that with the low temp silver solder but not the hotter brazing rods. Thanks, I should have thought of that!

1 Like

So where are the pictures of the finished project?

Indeed David! Thanks for the reminder! Here it is the day I finished it. Not sure I would do it out of round copper pipe again but it was a great project that taught me a lot. I do have some 1/2 inch square aluminum tubing that I plan to make the next one out of and probably half the size.

11 Likes

Very nice!

Thanks for showing it.

Now please put it up on Show & Tell to inspire others!

P.S.: I think it was a mistake not to use soda cans as your support material, but what do I know?

2 Likes