Show and Tell September 2020

learned how to use the lamp working stuff from @mrjimmy made a bunch of beads while trying out different glass

15 Likes

The Astraeus/Moonbeam Sweater by BadWolfGirlStudios (pattern on ravelry!)
Began on August 31 and finished September 13.

Made by -Meeeee- Michelle “NobleGoblin” Noble!

I made this using yarn purchased from BadWolfGirl! The yarn was superwash merino in the colorways “Bellatrix” and “Golden Snitch”. This was stranded/fair isle. Lots of floats!

I knitted parts of the yoke a bit tighter than I would have liked, however this is my first time using superwash for a sweater and I expected more fluff/bloom. (Online resources about superwash doing this were fairly inconsistant.) I’m not sure I’ll use superwash for colorwork again without sizing up a needle. Her yarn is fairly fantastic though!

I did alter the pattern. The sleeve cuffs and hem are one solid color and I decided to add in a gold border with a few speckles. Personally, I think it tied the whole thing together much nicely. I also did a very short rib for both resulting in a better hang IMO.

Why?
I’m on a knitting binge. I was legit stalking this pattern and had been waiting for it to drop for over a month. Texas is perfect for short and 3/4 sleeve sweaters. Etc. Etc. Etc.

EDIT: This was BEFORE blocking. The blocked project is currently drying. I think I got a little more length on the sleeves and body, but it def does not block as well as regular wool. (because you know…superwash…)

21 Likes

I -need- this! My friends and I here in GA have a Wednesday night Charcuterie & Chill!! We have been doing it EVERY week since shortly after Quarantine started. (There’s like, three of us total. We play it safe.)

I think i know a guy who can make you one :rofl:
It doesn’t even HAVE to be 6’long, but I highly recommend it!

1 Like

Yeah but what years? :wink:

3 Likes

Are they not precious :hugs:

19 Likes

oh wow that’s actually more than I thought. I did 6 coats of butcher’s block conditioner (mineral oil + wax) in the first 48 hours but nothing since. Would butcher’s block conditioner be good for ongoing maintenance or just straight mineral oil?

Fair question :rofl:

2020! Also apparently I’m the FIRST CUSTOMER TO FINISH SINCE THE PATTERN DROPPED. WHAAAA
That will never happen again, but i’m gonna peacock about it for now. :smiley:

6 Likes

Either. The butcher block conditioner includes wax which is more durable than straight oil. Mineral oil is very cheap if you buy it at a farm supply store (it is used by the gallon when a horse colics).

The schedule I mentioned assumes the board gets used: sitting in a cabinet not much will change.

In practice, I usually just use veggie oil because it’s handy in the kitchen (which is when I think of treating the board). Unlike with mineral oil, there is a chance of the veggie oil going rancid over time, but if the board is being used and washed frequently, the surface oil gets stripped off fairly quickly and will be replaced by newer oil well before that could happen.

2 Likes

I made this white stoneware leaf for myself and as a test to learn more about Flux (the pink/peachy running movement you see here). Made it with a slab roller, leaf shape and glazed with 3x Mayco Speckled Plum, topped it off with heavy dollops of Mayco Light Flux.

12 Likes

So I bought a Milwaukee Packout to start storing my fasteners, because the Grainger bags & Fastenal bags dont hold up too terribly long. I designed & cut out a mount for it. I cut it out of .050” 6061 aluminum, It will be mounted to the top of my roll out drawers. After I cut it out, cleaned it up & bent in on the Magnetic brake. Yes Milwaukee does make one out of plastic but the damn think is thick as hell. I also cut my logo in it as well.

17 Likes

Ghosties are everywhere! We had fun making Ghosties in Ceramics Tuesday night. Everyone did a great job! They all look so differnt and have so much personality. Of course we stll have fiire. Glaze, fire to go, but you get the idea.

25 Likes

Soooooooo cute!!!

1 Like

Ways cover for the Sherline mill to mitigate chip accumulation. Constructed similarly to the Bridgeport one, with runners that drop into the top of the T-slots.

19 Likes

they are amazing!

Imagine that, more Jarhead stuff. Got a request for a water bottle holder and ended up making 4 of them. Design the pattern and cut and engraved them on the laser. Two pieces of leather and hand stitched.

17 Likes

Mini solar panels for a Covid vaccine device?

I just love this color- I’m making more of the Taos cross… the wood dye has a cool effect it doesn’t penetrate the grain of the wood and leave the grain the natural color

8 Likes

Forged lawnmower blade machete. A bit crude but functional. I handmade some mosaic pins a couple of years back, so I used a turquoise crescent moon pin in the handle.

15 Likes

That would be a Slingblade.

1 Like