Show and Tell September 2020

Makers gain inspiration from fellow makers! Post a picture or two and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a quality PHOTO
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

One of my “I need to…” projects for the last several years (at least since before Hancock’s went out of business) was to make some storage bags for the corroplast and foam core signs that the quilt guild uses at the Dallas Quilt Show each year. There’s always a frustrated scramble for leftover chunks of plastic tablecloth and/or right-sized boxes to wrap them in.

I finally began the project in mid-summer, and finished recently. I added plastic sleeves so I could have a list of the signs in a given bag to refer to - both when unpacking and when re-packing.

They are made out of some random outdoor fabric that had less yardage than the 10-yd minimum Hancocks had imposed during their closing sale. I intended for them to be horizontal, but mis-calculated on part of the cutting, so they became vertical instead. Closures are super-duper velcro. Size 18 needle, regular poly thread on my littlest Bernina home sewing machine.

-Judy Kriehn

15 Likes

I’ve been making a lot of masks…always looking for new and fun designs. I used dye sublimation to print my design featuring my dogs on polyester fabric and then made a mask from it. Sewn on my 1951 Singer Featherweight machine that was originally my grandmother’s. Love how it turned out!

-Cindy Dalton

12 Likes

Where did you find that fabric? I love it! (Mask rocks, too :grin:)

1 Like

I designed the fabric in Affinity Designer with photos of my own dogs, printed it on the Dye Sub printer at DMS, then pressed it onto plain white polyester fabric with a heat press. :smiley:
Cindy

1 Like

Absolutely :sparkling_heart: it and the time and ingenuity behind it!
Sam

1 Like

I started crocheting this robe while sitting with longish laser jobs, but it pretty quickly got too unwieldy and I finished it up at home.

30 Likes

Finished the first draft of my joiners workbench. I plan to forge some holdfasts for it and add a woodworking vise to the front. Shout out to @collinrh for giving me some ideas to take the bench farther than the original plans. One included enhancement is the pop-up backstop in the middle of the benchtop (Shown in the UP position in the photo) to provide an easy backing when working on large pieces.

17 Likes

I wish I could give this more than one heart! love it!

1 Like

Well it’s been busy this last week. I got my website up www.theriverwalkworkshop.com and I made 9 crosses last night… still tons todo…

10 Likes

That looks awesome

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Definitely miss hanging out at the space. I’ve been puttering by myself at home working on some handbuilt pottery and testing glaze combos that @skyspook graciously runs back and forth for me to the kiln.

I’ve also been hard at work at writing murder mysteries – which is the thing I usually spend a lot of time making.

Hope everybody’s staying safe and thriving as much as they can. I miss y’all. Can’t wait for the new normal to hurry up and get here.

14 Likes

Thank you - I love the grain pattern of the Pudauk

For work we evaporate different metal stacks onto semiconductor samples to do tests on them, we need to cut out complicated shapes to make a mask with aluminum foil, so I 3D print stencils at home with my printer and bring them in to make it easier.

8 Likes

Miss your bright, happy, smiling face :grinning:

2 Likes

Coool, just ordered the book on Amazon.
Welcome to the pottery obsession:)

2 Likes

Thank you! The feeling is mutual.

My father passed away in April (I think I mentioned he had been ill for quite some time), so between covid-19 and that, I’ve been very shut in.

I’ll be back eventually, I promise.

1 Like

Awww thank you, Anette! I hope you enjoy it. :grinning:

2 Likes

That is so crazy, I did the EXACT same thing about 2 years ago for a physics research project! I was in charge of creating gold samples for us to test in a cryostat chamber, and I remember my professor handing me some tin foil and a knife and telling me to figure it out. 3D printing these ‘masks’ as we called them made my life so much easier

1 Like