Show and Tell October 2022

This one has a strong Kokopelli vibe.

5 Likes

A little hard to see in my picture but my parakeets made another parakeet!

7 Likes

So back when we took this last air compressor down for repairs you can see why. The head gasket was leaking. Also when removing the nut off the end of the crank shaft, the stud broke off. I put the crank shaft in the Shark lathe with the steady rest. I machined the nose flat then tapped the threads in the end of the crank shaft.

And a video of machining the face flat

11 Likes

Another cutting board routed with my Shaper Origin at the ‘Space. Used 1/4” down to 1/64” bits for this one.

7 Likes

Yes, and I hadn’t noticed until my granddaughter pointed it out that there is a small person playing an instrument like a piano or organ in the center. I appreciate you pointing out the Kokopelli relationship. Actually, I was initially thinking about a North American native American depiction before Sparkicus jumped out.

1 Like

Finally got my shirt right :heart::rainbow_flag:

9 Likes

Hay all. Brand New today. Excited for new projects and learning new skills.
Im working on this motorcyle helmet for my boss. Sanding and hopefully painting (at home) tomorrow

13 Likes

Thanks @jalopez8 and @dougbcave. Jesus’s design and Doug’s help getting the star inlayed with his Shaper origin… it was made as a donation for the clergy appreciation dinner at St. Jude Catholic Church in Allen, Tx… it helped raise $280 in the silent auction… along with other items it helps with the seminarians schooling and mission work.

20 Likes

That’s beautiful. With what did you stain the colors?

Not stained at all, I bathed the board in menial oil until saturation… after drying I applied Odies oil and buffed. Below is the progression bare to Dang that looks good :joy:

9 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. In one of the photos above I thought I saw a blue tint but obviously I was mistaken. It’s beautiful, and so generous of you to make it and donate it.

4 Likes

What types of wood used?

Walnut; cherry and hard maple

1 Like

I finally found the correct eyes for -“Heath Hedger” I need to build better eye sockets but I can do that for next year.
I want to make arms that are feeding the kid into his mouth, my wife says It doesn’t need it…

Should I make arms?

10 Likes

My son was in town from college so we worked on some knives. I finished a mushroom knife and he put new scales on a vintage knife he got at a old tool sale.

Mine is a Finnish lauri blade with drift wood for the handle.

His is purple wood and birch.

13 Likes

Arms can only make it more impressive

2 Likes

Arms pulling the person in would be cool.

1 Like

I’ve met a few people while I was jointing, planing, and drum sanding these panels. Everyone kept saying they wanted to see some pictures of my project. So, even though it’s far from finished, here is some of the progress on a record cabinet project I’m doing for a neighbor/customer.

Hi, I’m Mark and my goal is to make heirloom projects. I am far from my goal, but looking to grow and do my best work on every project.

A few details for your viewing pleasure: Rob Cosman has a video on splines. I ended up going the route of hidden mitred splines for my joinery. I could have probably jumped down and used the domino, which I may do in the future, but DMS is about 40 minutes away so I have to plan out well in advance for what I want to accomplish and take that into my time considerations.
I used a pretty large 45 degree chamfer bit. That’s how I did the front detail and made the mitre corners (wanted them to be more perfect than my saw or other methods would allow for). It wasn’t easy or clean, but it worked very well.
When it’s all said and done, there will be 8 drawers on the front with a grain matched Peruvian Walnut face on them. Testing finishes, but so far Rubio Monocoat Pure has an edge. The sapealle mahogany has been an absolute joy to work with so far and every stage of sanding brings it closer to my vision.

11 Likes

While I’m building the major record cabinet project, I also had a side project for some end tables. These went in my house, so the target audience was someone who just wanted a nice set of side tables to set glasses and remotes on. Nothing too crazy here, but the tops are from local Texas walnut trees and the legs are from Brazilian Black Walnut trees (or so that’s what I was told).

The tops were simple enough with the amazing planers at DMS. The legs, another story. I have some lessons for next time, and the spindle sander was down when I went. But… I love the way the legs turned out.

14 Likes

Those tables look amazing!!!

1 Like