Show and Tell October 2022

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing this month inspired by Dallas Makerspace.

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

I didn’t get to.post these when i made them, so here they are now, lol

32 Likes

I finished up my latest set of dice last night. I think they came out really well. Almost Opal-esque

27 Likes

2nd place at the State Fair for “Glass Flame Working” with my armadillo and pumpkin lampwork!

31 Likes

Congratulations!!!

1 Like

I made leather patchers on the Fusion Laser for our leather Workers group.
Gene

17 Likes

The project was started in March. Along the way we had help from several members and committees across DMS. Thank you without your help and expertises it would still be a work in progress… classes going live next week.

26 Likes

Those hearts are soo cool :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Nice!! Congrats!

1 Like

I used the English wheel, shaping stumps, kick Shriner and abead roller to turn a blank of 0.063 aluminum into a donut, and then a really terrible bicycle fender:

13 Likes

Keep at it. Working metal manually is much more art than science. You’ll learn to get the feel for it, metal has a feel you have to develop.

Some alloys of aluminum are less prone to work hardening, some much more. Get a piece of each and feel the difference - it may drive your future selection for work. Obviously, if there is some structural or other characteristic needed then you have to go with that.

If this is your first attempt, you are off to a good start.

2 Likes

This Lancaster style shrinker stretcher dies tear up the aluminum. But it looks good. Hopefully you used a shapable flavor of aluminum. I have heard 5052 is one such flavor

3 Likes

Some turning projects.

20 Likes

So some of you may know, I bought a couple milling machines. The one I am keeping had an issue with the input shaft to high speed dogs. There was a lot of slop in them. I welded up the input shaft dogs & machined them down on the lathe & then the Pasma. I made a complete new mating output dog. I machined it out of 4140 steel. I machined it on the Colchester then took it to the Bridgeport.

Then to broach it for the key.

The fit up between the two parts.

22 Likes

We had pen turning class :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

And I made a rough draft of a shirt I want.

15 Likes

lol…+1 on the shirt!

1 Like

You are awesome! I am so happy it is finally done, I know what a project this one turned out to be! Thank you @got_tools and others who helped so much on this one!

1 Like

That is the shiniest bowl ever. What did you use for finish? Or was it still wet orrr?

It’s nice!

I brought it to 320 grit and used speed polish.

1 Like