Show and Tell November 2022

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing this month inspired by Dallas Makerspace.

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
1 Like

The cutting boards that I routed last month have been epoxy filled, but I only have one completed photo so far. A friend did the epoxy portion.

10 Likes

I made a few fittings for my Bijur style oiler for the milling machine I’m repairing. I couldn’t find or get the fittings I needed. They are odd ball sizes.

I made the ferrule’s to fit inside of the 1/8” old tubing, I determined the id of the tubing with our pin gauges to be .085”. I started with 1/8” brass rod, turned down to .085, to a shoulder, in a collet chuck on the Colchester lathe. I then center drilled the bore to .0625”, then parted off on the lathe. I turned the ferrule to be around in a 3/32 collet to machine to the final face dimension. Pretty small part but not as small as most of @John_Marlow’s

Next I had to make a Tee fitting, again as its an odd ball size. I took 3/4”x1/2” brass to the Bridgeport, squaring the ends off. Then drilling the through hole followed by the intersecting hole. Once that was done, I drilled 2 holes for mounting using #10 machine screws. When finished there, I took it to our hand tapping station to tap the holes to 1/4-28tpi.

14 Likes

Great meeting a handful of y’all up at the shop last month! Here are some of the finished boards I was working on over the past few weeks.

Waiting for glass for this coffee table top still:

….time for a break. :sweat_smile:

21 Likes

I made a sub box.

10 Likes

Finished just in time for his birthday, my son’s first “big boy bed.” Technically my first completed projected at DMS among a sea of halfway completed projects :rofl:

27 Likes

Result from our recent terra sig and aluminum foil saggar class

28 Likes

Taken it apart until I can find a place to set it up for good. This is car exhaust parts and pipes I put together to form a king cobra. I wanted to give it to a late great show host as a “get over it” gift, now making it in his memory. When I assemble it fully, I use join the segments with JB Weld and wrap it with aluminum tape.

5 Likes

This was so much fun! Thank you for teaching!

The other two cutting boards that I engraved all filled and pretty.

12 Likes

A cutting board I made for a friend’s big 50.

9 Likes

Another cutting board. Delivered today.

13 Likes

Those are beautiful. Great work!

Laser cut foam insert for my pistol case.

20 Likes

I’d be interested in doing this. I have a number of pistols I’d like to do it for.

1 Like

I’m also interested in learning to do this

Tool Time with Tim

9 Likes

Very nice work! However, I am very surprised that you could not assemble a brand new distribution block (with check valves) direct from Bijur. They still produce the same check valves used in my Simplex IPC E-7s dating back to the late 1930’s!

I have a few shadow boxing projects to complete and and would love to learn this! I had no idea this is a possibility at DMS!