Show and Tell May 2023

I make 25mm terrain pieces and use a crumpled up ball of aluminum foil to add texture to peeled foamcore and XPS foam. Similar, but coarser approach to your crumpled-paper texturing.

10 Likes

That’s beautiful! With what did you paint it?

(BTW, I normally use aluminum foil but I was at DMS and had to resort to paper!)

1 Like

Cheap acrylic craft paint from Hobby Lobby (Apple Barrel and similar). Black base coat, then I use several grey shades and mixed in a little brown and/or tan to make variations in stone color. A little brown warms up the cool grey tones. Heavy dry brush for the application.

I wash it with a thinned brown/black wash to bring out the mortar lines.

Here’s a post-drybrush/pre-wash blurry WIP shot.

And a shot of the raw Dollar Tree peeled foamcore after I engraved the stonework with a ruler and pen, but before texturing.

9 Likes

The Analog Thing gets a workout in Science.

Before everything was Nvidea & server farms, there was Analog Computing. Using operational amplifiers, they could do fabulously complex Maths, if you didn’t mind an error factor +/-1%, in real time!

Lorenze
lorenz_eqn

Here is Rob Virkus running The Analog Thing through some Lissajous patterns.

10 Likes

I made a couple of pens at home today. They are for a couple of friends, They are a Faith-Hope-Love and a Manhattan kit both by PSI. The Faith-Hope-Love pen is a gift for a friend from church and the Manhattan is for Leanne, from Gulfstream, who provides the donations to us.

The Faith-Hope-Love pen is made from genuine Bethlehem Olive Wood. (With certificate) The Manhattan is made with some of the engineered wood from the Gulfstream company donations.

Gulfstream uses the engineered wood for their aircraft renovations. It doesn’t warp when the planes travel to different climates, it is lighter than wood and it is resistant to fire and water. It is also more expensive currently.

13 Likes

Having seen and used some of it, I think the engineered wood is wonderful. It was clever of you to make that into a pen. Thank you for recognizing her for her donations to us!

1 Like

Customer needed a multi-level display frame made out of MDF for an art show. What started as a simple sketch of mermaids and a starfish went to Greece to be converted into a 3D model.

The model was combined with other design elements to create the graphic at the top. Base level is 3/4" MDF. The top graphic was carved into 1/2" MDF and set into a 0.18" deep pocket made in the base. Additional frame elements were cut into a final 1/4" MDF top layer.

Total outside dims are 62.5" H x 38" W x 1" D. Center opening is 39.75" H x 27.75"W.

13 Likes

Faceted a quartz point I got in Arkansas. It’s just a practice piece but I’m happy how it turned out.

20 Likes

Gorgeous!!!

That also is brilliant! It’s a new thing to me…

CNC milling machine enclosure (WIP)

8 Likes

I’d do this class in a heartbeat!

1 Like

wow! you amaze me!

1 Like

Shaker inspired aerving tray in cherry.

“Scrap wood” slider top boxes large enough for 2 decks of cards.

Red oak and white oak
Red oak and walnut.

13 Likes

So that is a variable frequency device controlling your spindle? If so then are you using a 3 phase motor and what is the draw from breaker box?