Show and Tell May 2021

There was a music store closing down in Balch Springs and I picked up a few things… One was a Behringer PMP4000 powered mixer, as-is, $50, “not working”

This one took 2 weeks to troubleshoot. It’s a Class D amplifier that had one channel out. Replaced one shorted MOSFET, one shorted high speed surface mount diode, and one driver IC, and the mates to the diode and MOSFET for good measure… then…

Nothing from the channel.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

After much consternation, cursing, and troubleshooting… the remaining issue turned out to be counterfeit MOSFETs from a US seller on eBay.

Bought 10 from Future Electronics, installed 2, and that finished the repair. $679 powered mixer for $50 plus parts.

All the connectors going to the power supply and amplifier board were covered in hot glue. It took about an hour of patience and a hobby knife to get the glue out and the connectors apart.

Here I circled the 2 MOSFETs and the driver IC. The 2 diodes are on the bottom of the PCB.

17 Likes

Just a quick bracket out of scrap steel I had laying around. Me & my MIG had some words at home Wednesday evening. So I finished the welds as the space. Its not pretty as I didn’t have time to grind the chit weld out. It is a 2” piece of MC channel iron 11” wide with 8.5” bolt hole centers. I welded 3/8 plate scrap to it to allow for us to remove/install the vertical pumps, well vertically. We tried with my various straps on the first pump but had hell getting it out in a manner that I cared for.

Little back story, the Freezmageddon or snowmageddon-whatever you want to call it, froze the housing on these 2 small 7.5hp pumps. Logically the unit couldn’t be on the ground but a white membrane brand new roof. The units were also set 2 ft off the roof with a “wonderful feel good we dont want to see it” wall around it. This took me back to my extremely youthful days of crawling around like a toddler on my hands & knees, BTW my knees now dont like me at the moment. There was not a lot of room to work above the pumps, we could not lift the gantry any higher or put a trolley on the I beam.

The bracket worked great, actually better than expected. It allowed us (my apprentice & I) to set the pumps back into the new housing flawlessly. Honestly the way the rest of the job went, I was expecting a fight.

Here it the bracket I made, again quick & dirty.

Yes it’s hanging offset for a reason. We had to clear the pump housing.

Reference of the room we had to work with.

And for once, I didn’t get asked whats taking so long, because everyone saw the job. OR they were probably worried I’d tell them to come do it. :grin:

12 Likes

They’re beautiful and a very thoughtful gift! I’m sure they’ll be much appreciated.

1 Like

I cut and polished the tiger eye last week and made the bolo today.

19 Likes

Made a ceramic brush cup and a paint water cup for myself :slight_smile:

21 Likes

Picked up a dirty mixer with a broken back panel. It was in 3 pieces and had more cracks just waiting to go…

What to do? Hmmm… Ah! I have an old, blank PCB that I’ve never been able to figure out what it’s for. Well, it’s now for making a new replacement back panel to replace the pressed fiber panel. :smiley:

Not the straightest drilling work, but it’s very workable!

If you look carefully between the 2 red wires on the left side of that back panel, there’s half a capacitor. The other half got caught on the drill bit and separated, but, Dallas Makerspace to the rescue! I picked up a .0047uf cap from Electronics to replace the .005uf cap. (Dropped a buck in the box!) But, I didn’t take a pic of the installed cap.

Now it’s fixed and cleaned up - ready for use!

14 Likes

I love the concept of the notch for holding the brush on the honeycomb cup. Very clever.

2 Likes

Thank you! I can’t take credit for the concept, but I guess I executed it well at least! :smile:

3 Likes

Maple stave snare drum with birch ply hoops.

20 Likes

I finally finished this. My first all original armor piece. Built a mold of myself and made a pattern. Digitized it and cut this out on Big Thunder a few months back. Finally got a chance to finish it.

23 Likes

I feel I didnt get good photos in last months post so here’s a new set with a model. Leather backpack, leather cat ears, leather collar. I’ve started doing more sets of items rather than just one offs and my clients love it. All the leather is made from recycled thrift store material. Hand stiched. the collar has rhinestones. Backpack straps are reinforced with mesh climbing quality gear. Pretty much ANYTHING strappy that I make these days including the collars is actually reinforced with sturdy nylon mesh webbing so it will not stretch and last a lifetime. Magnetic enclosure for quick access. Cat ears had synthetic flowers added to the headband.

These days I can knock out collars and cat ears in a single sitting. The bag did take a while but with practice I’ll probably start making them in groups of 5 or more.

I like to make leather pieces because I cannot afford to wear them unless I make them. And I use thrift store leathers so I can at least feel a little more ethical about my choices.

I typically work with all gunmetal grey metal pieces because they stand out just enough without creating contrast. I will be going through a rainbow titanium hardware phase starting soon just in time for pride parades in june for some of my clients so keep an eye out for that! I’m st0ked.

instagram @brenlyxr

14 Likes

I’ve got a really nice Pioneer receiver that one of the channels went out on, if you’d like to take a crack at it, LOL!

1 Like

Hydroflux class

12 Likes

Everything turns/rolls. Made primarily from holly harvested from the yard and drying in the garage for about 8 years. (The wood is not painted white - it’s actually that color.) Everything hand made except the O-rings and the gold heishi washer.

10 Likes

These prints are from a Kickstart I backed.

Alien Pod Dice Jail. 10 hour print in ABS at .2 layer height.

Cthulhu dice tower. 56 hour print in ABs at .2 layer height.

Printed on my Prusa i3 MK3s painted with Golden High Flow paints and my Grex airbrush.

22 Likes

Blacksmithing class :grin:

19 Likes

I have been using the DMS photo booth to experiment with a green screen for product photography. First attempts:

17 Likes

Very very nicely done!

1 Like

I was able to get the Osage Orange “”, Bodark
It was a lot of fun and I learned a lot in the process.

15 Likes

I finally got around to ( partially ) assembling the rack for my eurorack synth.
This was a mock-up of a future version that I want to make fold up for better portability. This would have been the opened up geometry.

This revealed a design flaw. It’s too deep for everywhere I have to set it up. So back to the drawing board.

7 Likes