Show and Tell May 2021

A Call to Fellowship

We gain inspiration from our fellow makers. Post a description and a photo or 2 of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) in this thread!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. Most of us never get to see the cool things people do at DMS all the time.

Posting here could inspire others to make something, helps our Public Relations team provide a look at what can be done at DMS on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content:

• a quality PHOTO
  • a notation about WHAT you have made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog & other social media)
  • HOW you made it
  • and WHY
4 Likes

I designed a replacement part for a semiconductor tool, a dicer, this magnet clip isnt sold by OEM anymore.

12 Likes

I made a cold frame for starting and hardening off some plants here in CO. Still getting down below freezing at night here some nights.

Upcycled from an old door and PT wood left over from deck construction. Total out of pocket: $0 plus gas money to retrieve door from Craigslist ad.

20 Likes

I build a full-featured Kubernetes cluster with Raspberry Pi4s for testing at home, and then wrote up a tutorial so anyone else can easily do the same.

16 Likes

I finished the hand rod puppet from my online class yesterday! Her eyes and glasses are 3D printed, handmade feather wig, and custom wardrobe.

She’s modeled after Edith Slump from QWERPLine, which is a podcast, so my starting point was just a character voice. I sought out elements from her creator’s other work to find her fashion sense, and gave her my favorite bonkers Gucci eyeglasses.

Edit: Also, mug.

22 Likes

End grain chopping board kitchen cart type thing.

20 Likes

It slices, it dices; but wait, if you act NOW…

I thought I was looking at a very cool turntable for vinyl records at 1st. But, is that the chip cutter that separates ICs from a 180mm or 300mm silicon disc?

1 Like

Yes thats accurate

Decorative box made from cherry and walnut. The knotholes were filled with nebula resin. Lime for scale.

23 Likes

thats amazing did you turn the handle?

1 Like

I made a hand-crocheted summer weight blanket with 100% cotton yarn. It fits a couch or twin size bed.

It’s very cozy, and has been claimed by my daughter.

15 Likes

Yessir! All of the walnut was from the same stick, I just cut it into the legs and saved some pieces for the handle.

1 Like

beautifully down sir it looks amazing

2 Likes

I bought some crazy cheap 8TB SAS drives on eBay. Bought a crazy cheap case from someone online that was local. Turns out SAS drives have a deeper/longer connector than SATA drives and the case door wouldn’t close. I designed and printed replacement drive holders that move the drives away from the case door by the depth of the SAS connector. Now everything fits perfectly. The toolless design still works, they snap into place like the originals.

Matching blue PETG so it goes with the case color.

The connectors are now flush and the door fits on the case.

The part in Houdini (which is a fantastic 3D application).

16 Likes

Saddle chain bracelet class :grin:

15 Likes

Willing to bet most don’t know Yoni Steam Boxes are a thing!
Have been making personalized vinyl record crates for stores and individuals.

That led to a request for 10 Yoni Steam Boxes for a new boutique opening in the area.

You will just have to Google that if you are not one of the few who know about them.
Never know what the next customer will want!

20 Likes

I made these Co-Roo-Na Virus key chains for my graduation party. My college mascot is a kangaroo so I thought it was a funny joke. I used this kit off of amazon, and it worked beautifully on the fusion laser.

15 Likes

I also made these pens back in January and I just finished packing them all up with a little note for each one of my professors. They’re fountain pens, and I used a mixture of acrylic and wood blanks.

19 Likes

Cold Frame update

So, on a sunny 60 degree day with the lid fully down, the cold frame hit 108 degrees internally! I’ll have to watch the upper as well as the lower temps.

I added some plumbing heat tape to kick in at 38 degrees (shuts off at 45). This worked great when cold temps hit the mid 20’s here.

3 Likes