Show and Tell May 2020

I’m in love with the beard at a right angle to the face.

@Lampy I haven’t debuted it yet. I feel like it will cause a small stop down, so waiting until tomorrow for a brown bag lunch we do every week to talk about personal projects etc.

I’ll probably eventually do a famous figure like Dali or Einstein for a more permanent version, but I didn’t want anyone thinking I just found something on the interwebs at first :slight_smile:

I’ll probably also make the source image frames from a video soon as well.

@jrkriehn Clearly I’ve been working on personal projects more than grooming. The wild hair outliers crack me up as well, but overall I like the “eyeball soup” portions of the video.

Yeah, the amoebic eyeballs are my second favorite part of the fractal, but the right angle beard is still my fav. After the eyeball portion, the beard growing to gargantuan Jerry Garcia proportions is damn amusing.

1 Like

So my adventure du jour was cutting @ioport51’s hair. First time to wield a set of electric clippers. I didn’t suck!

12 Likes

Made another egg, this one cracked but still looks pretty cool. I bought some solar dust color changing pigment to paint the wood. It looks great, I couldn’t get a picture that really shows the change in color. I didn’t stabilize my wood first. I keep finding reasons not to buy a vacuum chamber as I wait for the space to open up. I think that is why I had some air release from the wood and the crack.

16 Likes

Got a small blacksmithing setup put together. The forge was made over the last month or so. Found the anvil and stand for a steal on Facebook.

The metal for the forge was upcycled from a box tube section that used to be a highway sign holder I bought at Repuposed materials. The sections were cut to preserve the corners of the tube since there no way for me to bend 3/8” steel. Once the pieces were cut out, they were soaked in vinegar for a few days and then ground clean to remove any galvanization.

The new forge body was then welded Together. The burner was made and added along with forge faces and feet. The inside of the forge was lined with 2800F fire wool which was then rigidized and left to cure for 3 days. 3000F refractory was then used to line the forge 1/2-1” thick. The forge was covered and left to wet cure and then dry cure over 72 hours cold and I’ve now been slowly bringing up the temp over the last 12 hours to drive off any residual moisture. A few more days of slowly driving off moisture and then a last IR reflective coating and we will be ready heat and beat some steel!

11 Likes

so cool what the pics look like/

Hand built mug, t-mix clay with a little mason stain swirled in. Clear glaze on the inside and top with Amaco sage on the bottom, took it to Trinity Ceramics to be fired. Handle is made from a piece of western sagebrush, thought that would be proper. Coffeebean instructed me on the technique since I don’t do a lot of hand building.

15 Likes

Over the last month I’ve been making a 3D Settlers of Catan set. I used the Hex Tiles from Here ( https://www.instructables.com/id/3D-Catan-Designed-3D-Printed-and-Painted/ ) and Settlments and Cities from Thingiverse.

I also designed the water border pieces. They use magnets to connect to each other. That ended up working really well!

Once I printed and painted these I didn’t have a good way to store them, so I designed some storage boxes for them as well as the player pieces.

The only thing I have left is to make a box to hold things like the Robber/Dragon, number pieces, cards, and harbors.

17 Likes

Very cool!

Wow! Truly impressive!

A friend of mine took this awesome photo of Canadian geese taking off from the pond behind his place in Colorado.

I made a frame for it using weathered pallet wood and some hand-forged steel cleats.

12 Likes

So, I bought an Axiom CNC, which led to two projects. I decided not to buy the stand and toolbox (for 1200 dollars) and make my own, choosing to buy a Craftsman tool cabinet from Lowes and weld me up a stand.

I then used my tattoo artist “flash” of a Koi fish to try to do a project on my cnc. I used the Vectric software built in texture for a wave profile in the background. I tested a blue dye in it and it turned out too busy. so i then used a “Chipping” texture background to bring down the wave profile and make the fish pop more.

I also built a bench from my online Samurai Carpenter series I have been watching,.

17 Likes

That is a serious stand - looks great!

3 Likes

I wanted a lot of mass to act as a damper to the machine, it does have rubber mounts but I had to put wheels on it so I could nest it when I needed to park a car in the garage.

1 Like

Infeed stands for my small bandsaw. Fold flat or remove bottom leg and store in a drawer under the saw.

12 Likes

Tig welded a cracked Brooks bicycle saddle frame, and made some bushings to replace the pivot bearings in my bike.

Used vapor hone prior to covid to strip paint off, washed with orange degreaser, crack was ground slightly to get to clean metal, wiped with acetone, tig welded.

Pressing old bearing out

Pressing new bearing in

8 Likes

Made some coasters for a family member who moved to the Mueller neighborhood of Austin. The city took the old airport property and are building a planned development. The old control tower is still a neighborhood feature. HTV on hand-dyed veg-tan leather. Cut the leather and vinyl on my Cricut Maker. I made six of each component, thinking I’d screw some up and still have 4 left for a set of coasters, but they all came out fine!

5 Likes

So my best friends compressor went out on his ac. We removed & replaced his compressor as well as the liquid line filter drier. While I brazed I ran nitrogen through to keep the oxidation from happening. We pressurized to 275 psig with nitrogen to leak check it. Evacuated & then recharged. Started right up.

I brazed it mostly upside down.

9 Likes

I kinda want to print new gauge faces for the pressure pots now. “RETARD” PSI is pretty easy to follow :laughing:

5 Likes