Show and Tell March 2023

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or a cool project outside the space) here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

Took the railroad spike knife class. It was a lot of fun but I think I made mine a little on the long side. It’s almost a filet knife.

15 Likes

Just finished the MVP for my game that I’ve been working on for a year, on/off again. I’m going to move onto other projects since I have a lot of technical debt (this was originally a space invaders clone that went out of control, lol). Whenever I revisit it, I might clean up the codebase a bit and add some new features like local co-op, more enemy types, and powerups.

You can download the linux or windows versions for free here: Releases · Mike Mooc / Alien Invasion · GitLab

Build instructions are in the README.md if you’re so inclined.

16 Likes

Monthly dose of epoxy! This month in the form of oldgrowth California redwood lazy Susan’s.

Flowers dried for two weeks then resin was poured in four layers to prevent heat damage.

And a solid chunk of walnut burl leftover from a larger table pour made for a long and narrow end grain cutting board.

23 Likes

I have bound the bread book. Still chasing that elusive perfection, but it has escaped me once again. I am overall happy with it, but there are still a few things I would change.

The cover is goat skin from Seigel’s pressed with stamps made on the DMS resin printers

The margins are huge because I like to write in books and there’s never room. I’m playing with things.

23 Likes

I machined my new power drawbar for my milling machine at home. I cut the head to length on the bandsaw. Then put the head into the lathe using the 5C collet. I faced the band sawed end to length 7.695”. Then spotted the hole for the bore. Drilled to the approximate ream size, reamed to .422” per spec. Turned the pilot to diameter for my spindle. Once that was completed, cut the threaded end to length then faced the end again in a 5C collet. Turned the diameter to .423” for a press fit using the machine shops arbor press. Once pressed, I put it into a 5C collet block, found center then spotted the face with a 1/8 end mill for the spotting drill make a proper center drill. Drilled then reamed to 3/16 for the cross pin. Then pressed the pin into the assembly with the arbor press

!
image|666x500

17 Likes

Beautiful! What kind of epoxy did you use? And how to combat bubbles?

1 Like

Napkin holder with 5"x5" fused glass panels made in Beth’s @dryad2b fused glass class. Base is cherry wood.

Depending on the fusing profile you can get nearly flat/much enlarged “blobs” or tighter/taller pieces. Thanks to Beth’s kiln programming I got exactly the texture I was hoping for!

EDIT: I should add that the stringers were curved before fusing by passing them over a regular household candle. That was a new technique for me.

25 Likes

Thanks! I use counterculturediy.com hard cast resin and superclear epoxy deep cast. Let the resin sit after pouring for ten minutes then hit it with a butane torch and all the bubbles will go away!

1 Like

Hand made original piece of petra- Jordan and silicon molded and copied
Material made out of haydro stone and painted

24 Likes

8 Likes

Very beautiful and majestic.

1 Like

Thank you much

8 Likes

At the end of last month I quickly put together a tool I could use to create scalable vector graphics.

Here’s a little factory graphic I made. These can then be imported into games and other art things, here’s what that factory looks like inside a game I’m working on.

9 Likes

What engine/framework are you using? Or built from the ground up?

This is Gamemaker: Studio, all built in the past 2 months.

In the game you are shipping packages from planet to planet starting at a factory and ending at a port. You set up cannons and slingshots and figure out different trade routes to make cash while avoiding black holes. The factory, port, and cannon graphics were all made in my shape tool in the screenshots from yesterday.

5 Likes

I’ve been turning earrings from cocobolo and rosewood.
The rosewood is an interesting off centered turning technique. The cocobo(w)lo are basically made like tiny bowls.

15 Likes

The nogal (Peruvian walnut) opportunity that I shared with DMS was originally sourced for a signage project. Wall lettering was all nogal and the logo is nogal, maple, and Spanish cedar.

15 Likes