Show and Tell March 2022

Fantastic waterfall look. Really awesome!

1 Like

I made this chevron (not sure if this qualifies as chevron?) pattern coffee table set. The base is 3/4" steel square tubing I mig welded. This was my first welding project (thanks to everyone teaching the hot processes and welding classes, I never would’ve learned without you!). The top is white oak. I made the four quadrants separately and cut them down to size and glued them all together. Finished it all up with black spray paint on the base and lacquer on the top. I think it turned out pretty well! Thanks again for the community support on the woodshop and metal shop side, could’ve have done it without you!

25 Likes

These are awesome, they are definitely professionally made!

1 Like

Made in Paul’s Bowl Turning class.
He brought a sycamore bowl blank, which was really enjoyable to work on the lathe and looks great for the grain and and color.

10/10, Good class, would recommend

17 Likes

Made myself a birthday shirt and then I made Jacob a shirt. Nerdy fun today.

22 Likes

Laser cut plywood wall graphic.

20 Likes

I try to chaos right class tonight and I really like what my students turned out they Bluetooth which is like this is mine the other three pieces are my students one of the ladies brought her own ammonite fossil

12 Likes

Made for a friend in Colorado…
mahogany Back ground
Ash - Front Range
Curly Maple - letters
Beatle kill pine - trees
Purple Heart - birds
Yellow Heart - birds
Pahduk - birds

22 Likes

A couple of finger joint boxes.

20 Likes

Great job! Is that a benchcrafted leg vise on the bench? How do you like it?

1 Like

Thanks, I really like the bench crafted M Glide. It is so smooth and easy to use. My bench is not nearly as nice as the Ruobo bench you made. Are you planning on using Holdfasts with your bench. If so I have a couple of Crucible Holdfasts I am looking to get rid of. They were bought for my planned Ruobo that I did not ever make and are too big to fit the small bench I made.

2 Likes

Nice! Those look amazing. I was wanting to get some holdfasts but I think those might be a little out of my price range. I would probably get choked out by the missus. Lol.

2 Likes

FWIW, holdfasts are pretty easy to forge if you start with round stock very close to the hole size in your bench. That way you only have to focus on the foot and the arch.

They can be made using the induction forge. I made one for use with my anvil out of mild steel (1018 or A36 should work fine).

Upsetting the steel to get a squared-off initial bend is a bit more difficult to achieve, but if you lay that aside, a functional tool can be made by a beginner.

1 Like

Quick little project, made from resawed Spanish Cedar. Fully adjustable.

FWIW, pistachio nuts make good coconuts for ambience!

14 Likes

I appreciate how the staining from the beetle-kill pine shades the trees, adding a little more depth to the result.

Nicely done.

2 Likes

Thank you that’s awesome you noticed that

1 Like

My students might some lovely pea pods last night in my

11 Likes

This is a brilliant idea!

Is this something you found plans for or designed yourself? This is something any coffee person would love to have at home.

Plane4
Plane3
Plane 2
Plane1

Just wanted to announce two new additions to the DMS Wood Shop Tool set from our “Play with Planes” event tonight. We have added a new in box Stanley #4 Hand Plane (donation funded by attendees) and a refurbished Vintage #4 that are available in the hand tool annex for use. Both planes have been fully tuned and are ready for work.

Huge thanks to @bd_simpson for donating the really sweet vintage plane!
Many thanks also to @rlisbona for coming in and sharing his considerable expertise and hand tool knowledge with the group.
Thanks also to everyone that joined, brought personal planes for tuning, and donated - Hopefully the event was as educational for all of you as it was for me - the many types of planes and plane tuning challenges were great to see!

16 Likes

I would love to see you do this again. I suspect there are a number of people who would be interested but who were unable to attend.

A number of us built our own planes a while back:

Interest in making a wooden hand plane?

We all had a blast making them, too.

3 Likes