Show and Tell March 2022

Is March coming in like a lion? Hopefully our projects are being total lambs.

Getting all our little lambs herded up can certainly be challenging! If Dallas Makespace is helping you shepherd yours, help us join in by posting to this thread with some photos and a description of something you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) and we’ll help you join in our fun, too!

Small craft projects, large CNC router projects, quick & dirty tools made by tools, and so much more happen at Dallas Makerspace. Cool things done at DMS by cool people often go unseen by our peers, not to mention the curious public. Post up here to share the interesting things you are doing with Dallas Makerspace this month!

These posts help promote cohesiveness and community at Dallas Makerspace, inspire others to make a cool something. and help our PR show off what can be done here using social media or blog posts (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Consider the following on each post, to help make for richer experiences:

• a QUALITY photo can help us with the vision
  • WHO you are, possibly for attribution outside of this venue, but also to help our fellow members get to know each other (or at least each other’s work)
  • WHAT you’ve made might not be immediately obvious, but even if it is, we :heart: a good story!
  • HOW you’ve made it (and perhaps HOW DMS helped) inspires others to follow along
  • WHY you made it (all about the inspiration, dontchaknow)
3 Likes

Just a few pieces I’ve been working on the last few days.

22 Likes

First ever waterfall project. 'Tis a 33.5"x18.5" vanity top made from 8/4 red oak. Not perfect, but not bad for a maiden voyage to waterfall edge making.

14 Likes

Framed more butterflies

16 Likes

Made my first Jennie Alexander Chair, Chair Makers Workbench, and Shavehorse last two weeks in classes at Blake Loree’s Fine Woodworking in Waco TX.

18 Likes

Remember this set of door panels?

They are incorporated into the entry of one of the homes on the Fort Worth Dream Street tour.

The tour is sponsored by Fort Worth Magazine and raises money for the “A Wish with Wings” charity whose mission is granting magical wishes for young Texans with life-threatening medical conditions.

Tour details and tickets here:

14 Likes

Those are beautiful. Where do you get your weave patterns from? I am starting out and just love chainmail.

Another piece I just finished…

@Bri_Gearhart I find some in several different places, here are a few of my favorite.

What system are you using?
AWG or SWG?

10 Likes

3D printer these screw top lids for my coffee beans.

16 Likes

Absolutely, beautiful. When I was in the 7th grade, I decided to do an insect collection for my science project. We had a neighbor who was a lepidopterist (fun word to learn) He showed huis vast collection and even gave me some professional mounting supples. He traveled down to Central and South America, maybe even other parts, collecting butterflies. It was amazing to see God’s beautiful creations. Thank you for sharing your butterflies.

2 Likes

Wow!!

I am always fascinated by framed butterflies, moths and cicadas. If you get in the business of selling these I may be interested in some :slight_smile:

Also really digging that 3d print, so handy!!!

I used to sell them, I am mainly focused on highly scaleable products for Amazon now.

2 Likes

Well, the class isn’t up quite yet as there’s other parties helping me with the class, but Friday I did a dry run of a class before we start our project :slight_smile:

Someone from Ceramics who does slipcasting will teach the slipcasting class and I’m going to teach how to make a little stained glass cacti for their finished pot.

Doing the 1-off/dry run was helpful so I could identify things needed before the class and also get an understanding if anything was too challenging. I am having to discard my favorite for the class as it’s not really easy for beginners. So the aloe looking plant will not be offered.

So these were from my “first students” and one is mine.

Made by @madisonaconnell

Made by me

Made by @Liv7301

17 Likes

That’s awesome that you included Yvonne Williams (Von). She’s really amazing at what she does, and is a super fast learner. I got to meet her about 10 years ago at a convention when she was first getting started. She had not yet gotten into leatherwork and we talked shop for a bit, now she’s well beyond my skill level. Definitely check out her tutorials if you’re interested in Chainmail or wire wrapping for jewelry.

3 Likes

Definitely interested!!!

1 Like

We should be getting the classes submitted today :crossed_fingers:

Olivia is going to teach the slip cast portion this Saturday (not sure the time, she was finalizing that).

I will teach the stained glass portion April 2nd 1p-5p. For those that take the slip cast portion, they will be given entry 1st into the class. If someone from slip casting does not want to due the stained glass cost, no interest, etc, I’ll let others enroll first come, first serve.

2 Likes

Sweet!! Thanks for the update!!

1 Like

You are most welcome!

I learned to create stickers today! I’m so excited. I can even do my QR code for my website with it.

11 Likes