Interest in making a wooden hand plane?

I have made several hand planes over the years and Tom mentioned to me that it might be a good class. Wooden hand planes can be finicky to tune but give much more joy in use since you created it. It would take 2 classes to complete but they are not hard to make and a joy to use after tuning. I made one last night to replace the first one I made 20 years ago. Each student would need to provide their own materials and we would make a traditional Krenov style smoother. I have always used Hock blades and plan or ordering a more few soon for myself, I want to make a high angle smoother for figured woods and another block plane.

The blades are the most expensive part at $40-$50 but well worth it. The wood is up to you but this is a good time to use something that is expensive for large projects but not so bad for this size. You would need 2 sides at roughly 12"x3"x.5" and the center at 12"x3"x1.75". This can be cut from one block of wood if you want. We would cut your rough stock down to those dimensions in the class. I used a 2"x2.75"x 24" board to make my plane.

If we have enough interest I will look at my calendar for July and submit the classes.

http://www.hocktools.com/products/pi.html

6 Likes

Any suggestions on the widths and lengths of the various blades they have?

Two videos for those interested in these style planes.

@MathewBusby @mkart is specifying a rough block size 1.75" wide. The final width needs to be about 1/16" wider then the blade width, so I think he will specify a 1.5" wide blade.

Correct! I would suggest the 1.5" blade for the first one. I always used the 3.5" in the past but for the high angle I may order the longer one. If we want to go cheap we could do a block plane. They sell that blade for $16.

1 Like

Matt, you can also order the blades without chip breakers for $10 less. Since the blades are 3/16" thick, a chip breaker really isn’t needed. Cip breakers were a nineteenth century invention that allowed for thinner steel blades (less expensive). The chip breaker added mass back in using a cheaper steel.

I always just ordered the chip breakers with the blade since the slot was there and I thought it looked funny, like it was missing something without it. The block plane blades do not have the slot.

Saves a 5 min step on the build without it.

1 Like

I’m interested/would sign up.

If those interested place a single order with Hock, they can save nearly $10 each in shipping costs.

1 Like

I’m in, if someone else wants to coordinate the order.

1 Like

I’m in, too. I own a handmade wooden plane. I would love to make one of my own. What a fun project.

1 Like

I’ll look at the calendar and get some dates. I think I will be in Dallas the weekend of June 25th and 26th if that is good for everyone. Otherwise we will push it into July on a couple week nights. I am going to order a couple blades in a week or so if others want to add on. I need to order it so it shows up after I get back from St Louis.

I can teach how to turn a dowel on the lathe as well so you don’t have to use a store bought one that looks terrible. I have lots of good contrasting exotics we can use. The plane I made last night has a Paela body and an african blackwood dowel turned down to fit a .5" hole. I believe form is as important as function on a plane since no matter how well made it is it will not get used if you don’t enjoy looking at it and holding it.

If we get a decent sized order together I will try to get us a discount from Hock Tools. I am going to get at least 3 blades to play around with. I recommend the 1.5" wide for your first plane but it is up to you. I have the short one and am going to order the longer one this time. I think it will give easier access to the blade to tap it when adjusting. I am also going to order a couple block plane blades and maybe a shoulder plane blade. And an 8" kitchen knife.

These are very straight forward and easy to make. I am making mine out of exotic woods that may not work out based on the characteristics of the wood. if you plan before hand you could glue up a block with a sole plate which always looks nice.

1 Like

This sounds really cool. I’d be in, but I can’t do Sunday’s. Don’t hold hold off though if I’m the only one that can’t do it.

I don’t do Sundays either. I spend Sundays in church early and with the family in the afternoon usually.

Well we have plenty of interest to put this together. How about Saturday the 25th for the first day? I’m free all day. I left Hock a voice mail and am waiting for a call back. Walter also found a blade and adjuster set that could be used from Lee Valley. This would make adjustment easier if you wanted. We can set another day the following week in the evening.

Here is the lee valley blade kit with adjuster.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=71379&cat=1,41182,46334&ap=1

1 Like

I like the Lee Valley kit, but I also like the elegance of a purely simple handplane with a wedge. If we get a major discount on the HOCK blades then I think that is the direction I’m leaning. Walter have you every built a plane using the Lee Valley kit?

No, but I ordered one yesterday. Till now I have only built krenov style and traditional style planes. The advantage to the Lee Valley kit is that it will be easier for inexperienced people to actually use their hand planes.

Adjusting a wood plane is a knack that needs to be acquired. Very small adjustments make a huge difference in how well the plane will function.

Do you think we could get a discount from Lee Valley for quantity? I bought some nice hard maple, bubinga and angelique yesterday at Wood Craft for the lidded box class and the plane class. I’m looking forward to both.

I don’t know, can’t hurt to ask them.

I would definitely be in for this.