Show and Tell June 2023

Howard @hforsberg just finished surfacing both sides of his new workbench top on my Multicam CNC.

8 Likes

I’ve finished the 1/24 scale project about which I posted some interim photos earlier. It’s an outdoor Italian courtyard. The entire box is about a 7" cube and will sit on a bookshelf surrounded by books.

The cat is reaching for the fish in the bike basket.

Everything is made from scratch except the electrical components. I purchased the .stl model of the reaching cat.

29 Likes

Amazing doesn’t come near enough description.

2 Likes

Cut this topaz today from some blue preform I had on hand.

16 Likes

Made a pizza peel for the pizza oven I am getting for fathers day.
Stainless steel with a sea grape handle.

16 Likes

I’ve opted to improve upon the gift boxes I made in May.

(Worry not, Mercer is also getting a similar box)

I should probably step up to better material than 5mm underlayment for these projects.

13 Likes

That looks really awesome. :grin:

More leatherwork for June: converted the rigging on this saddle from English to western rigging. Designed an H-shaped leather attachment to hold the D ring and fit between the existing stitching, punched and drilled out the copper burr rivets, removed the billet straps, and installed the new rigging using new copper burr rivets. Repeated on the other side.

Before

After

15 Likes

Forged a corkscrew out of a reclaimed spring from an old couch.

16 Likes

Two very different jelly opals I polished tonight.

15 Likes

Beautiful! And what a great way to display your work. Plus, it just goes to show that even 1/24 cats should never be underestimated! '-) I’d love to talk with you about how you made this project. Is there a place where I can see more? Thanks!

1 Like

Recent works

Not the best photos of the shirts I’ll admit :rofl:

17 Likes

7 Likes

I’m attended the Rocky Mountain Smiths Conference this past weekend in Colorado. I made a “kitchen trio” of utensils for the “Iron in the Pot” auction. A coffee scoop, a longer version of the corkscrew I made earlier, and a pizza cutter (with a cutting wheel borrowed from a Dollar Tree).

14 Likes

Air dried these cookies for 3 years from my parents oak tree that was taken down to put in a pool. Turned the thickest one into a patio table with a little bit of resin, walnut bow ties, and flattened on the router sled. Thinner piece became a lazy susan (finished a little bit ago).

18 Likes

When the daughter comes calling with a want for artsy hexagon shelving, a corner table, and platform twin beds … well, you say yes. That doesn’t mean you will discover that hexagons are fun to work with! Pretty sure only a very wealthy, free spending customer will ever talk me into making any six sided things in what’s left of this lifetime.

In addition to hex, she also wanted rustic … which is hard for me to do for some reason. Figured that alder would be my best bet for the requested look. Part hardwood and part alder veneer ply … but that veneer layer was so thin you just had to look at it wrong to go through it. Daughter was very happy, but this is one project that is only satisfying in the rear view mirror!!

20 Likes

Way cool Bert!!!

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your process and beautiful work!

1 Like

With many thanks to John K to loaning me his Creality 10w LED laser to test it for work:

Original on top, duplicate on bottom.

Still some refinement needed in settings and pre prep of the base label, but darn close for an hour or two of poking at software settings and base material preparation.

6 Likes

Very clever! What’s the base material for the copy?