Show and Tell June 2022

This is a work-in-process post - I used the registration feature on the Epilog laser and it’s awesome (and easy) so I wanted to share.

I’m making a quilt with some appliqués that I wanted to laser cut. By printing two 1/4" black circles on my fabric and telling the Fusion that they were registration marks, it can locate, square and align exactly where the vector cut belongs.

As a learning point, the black perimeter lines were a bad idea. I forgot to remove those lines and on one image the lines confounded the registration process.

If you look closely you can see where the vector is being cut. I put a little bit of “bleed artwork” around the desired cut lines just in case.

Artwork designed in Photoshop/Illustrator, custom printed on cotton at Spoonflower.com. Laser cut on the Epilog fusion (after ironing Soft Fuse onto the back).

17 Likes

Whoever left all that free cardboard in CA, you are the best. It has come in handy on many occasions in the last week. Yesterday I made a bunch of disposable combs for making paste paper.

7 Likes

It’s a brand new member. I can’t remember his name at the moment, a younger guy. He said he gets them from his work. I told him that that donation is SUPER helpful for those learning to use the lasers. :grin::+1:

1 Like

I designed and laser cut some bins to organize the canned goods in our pantry.

Painting and final can selection is a work in progress.

I can cut six of these from a $35 sheet of Sande plywood and takes about 14 mins of laser time each for cutting.

Here’s a side view showing the internal ramps. Cans go int the top and come out the bottom, aiding in using the oldest cans first.

27 Likes

It’s precious.

1 Like

Family project, working with my dad and my brother on rock sliders for his first gen 4runner.

15 Likes

In the effort to make the fanciest, most complex books I possibly can, I tried my hand at paste paper and water marbling. It’s tough to say. The paste paper is more vibrant, but water marbling leaves me with a more intricate pattern.
I don’t know how i feel about these. I should be getting supplies in for Turkish marbling in the next few days, so I’d like to give that a try as well and figure out what I should settle on.

16 Likes

Jewelry box 2.5 years in the making. So many side projects, skills, and tools I had to acquire and learn along the way to learn how to do this. So much thanks goes out to countless people here for encouraging me to stick to it after all this time. For guiding me down the right paths (and wrong ones where necessary.) Teaching me about handplanes, sharpening, more precision tool work, fitment to a project and more.

Many lessons learned, and much I would do differently if I did it again, but for now I’m just glad it’s done.

41 Likes

That ramp design reminds me of the old school combo snack and drink vending machines :smiley::+1:

1 Like

Maggie fountain.
On B-mix clay from Trinity.
Glazes: Black, white, medium blue, squash yellow underglaze, Mayco zinc-free clear 2x over. Glacier Blue, Celadon Bloom, Aurora green, Indigo rain, Blue Surf, Green tea

16 Likes

I’m widening and stretching the wheelbase of a 2016 mx5 and stuffing a twin turbo v8 in it! I could use some help with an English wheel though!

6 Likes

I’ve been teaching myself to airbrush, so I decided to airbrush my welding helmet. I just used a extremely high heat clear coat from Krylon to protect the paint from sparks. I figured someone may ask that question.

16 Likes

I reproduced a coolant tray from the old horizontal bandsaw. The old one(green) was quite rusty and pitted after 25+ years of service.

14 Likes

Last night was my fourth class to teach after a long hiatus. It was a very successful class and it was the first class with an experienced blacksmith in the class. @jendrew12 who was very helpful in assisting with the instruction. I’ve learned a few things from him, too.

In addition to Andrew, @sroriginals, @cduckle, and Faris Elnager were in the class. Here are some pictures of the class.

This is my last class for a little while. I am travelling to Europe in July. I will resume teaching this class every Tuesday, except on the Tuesdays of our blacksmithing committee meeting, when I return. Expect the next class to be late July or early August.

I’m also considering teaching making something in class besides a chisel in the class, perhaps a letter opener. My intent is always to teach the use of the tools through a project the students can take home.

I’ve enjoyed a great deal getting back into teaching. I want to thank all of the students for being such great learners. I’ve modfied the syllabus of the class somewhat based upon student feedback, too.

14 Likes

The first kite class (for me) of what will hopefully be a bunch more…

We decided to call them ghost kites.

20 Likes

Did my first Turkish marbling tests. This was just with index cards in a small tray while i work on the big paper-sized tray. This was interesting. The water behaved in ways I wasn’t expecting and not all of the paints act the same way.

19 Likes

That is AMAZING!!!

Kite class was THE BEST!
@dougbcave - your patience & passion are inspiring!
The girls now have the skills to entertain themselves when we are in the cell-tower wasteland of Michigan next week!
Classic skills are essential! Thank you for taking the time to teach this class!!

19 Likes

I have a brother who is a State Judge in S. Texas so I’m going to surprise him with this. It’s made from mesquite from out home town so I’m sure he’ll appreciate that.

20 Likes

Any way to combine the Turkish Marbleing with kite making???