Show and Tell July 2022

Post to this thread with some photos and a description of something you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) and we’ll help you join in our fun, too!**

Small craft projects, large CNC router projects, quick & dirty tools made by tools, and so much more happen at Dallas Makerspace. Cool things done at DMS by cool people often go unseen by our peers, not to mention the curious public. Post up here to share the interesting things you are doing with Dallas Makerspace this month!

These posts help promote cohesiveness and community at Dallas Makerspace, inspire others to make a cool something. and help our PR show off what can be done here using social media or blog posts (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Consider the following on each post, to help make for richer experiences:

• a QUALITY photo can help us with the vision
  • WHO you are, possibly for attribution outside of this venue, but also to help our fellow members get to know each other (or at least each other’s work)
  • WHAT you’ve made might not be immediately obvious, but even if it is, we :heart: a good story!
  • HOW you’ve made it (and perhaps HOW DMS helped) inspires others to follow along
  • WHY you made it (all about the inspiration, dontchaknow)
3 Likes

Trying to make my first turned pen. Just need to decide on a finish now and put the thing together. Lol

13 Likes

Very nice! Way to go…

I have finished up my spoontula [that we made by hand…yes, it could use a little more polishing] and am having fun with the viking wire weave.

15 Likes

I also made my own draw plate and encased a quartz crystal in a viking weave bracelet

16 Likes

Finally finished the marbling tank. It’s got a 4-gallon main tank and a smaller chamber for rinsing the paper off

Also made three combs top go along with it. Each one makes a different kind of pattern

And the results are in

If I did it over again, I think I would stain the sides and base just like before, but I would leave the bottom of the main tank alone. The dark color hides the color of the paints and it would be easier to see if the bottom were white. Maybe I’ll go back and refinish it some time.

16 Likes

I can see a most excellent kite sail in that middle pattern!

3 Likes

Tetra Kite!

Made my first pen. There’s a bunch of people that replied to my earlier post asking for help, and I couldn’t have done this without their input.

Special shout out to @Eric75252 for letting me bug him while he’s working on his own pens.

As a side note, a few folks have tried to talk me out of having 2 different colors, and I didn’t listen. Maybe I will in my next pen…

20 Likes

At some point in the past, I acquired a little wool card case kit from Wonderfil Thread.

Last week, I decided to sew it together, as it was a fairly portable handwork project. While there are several design changes I would make if I were to do another with my own wooly stash, I’m pleased with the outcome.

However, I likely won’t be using this one with credit cards, as that closure is magnetic.I’ve had hotel keys and credit cards wiped out by magnetic clasps before. Not sure I wanna gamble now…

8 Likes

Screen printing class tonight did a great job! New shirts and totes for the gift shop.

18 Likes

Moar paper!

7 Likes

1:12 scale Spanish-style guitar, from a class I took at the International Guild of Miniature Artisans “Guild School” in Castine, Maine. About 3/4 completed in the class; remainder finished at home.

20 Likes

Aaaaah, a full sized guitar but can you make a ukulele?

As always, amazing work.

4 Likes

Daniels making a box with the bandsaw class is excellent!

18 Likes

I was going for a swirly vine thing that reminded me of @Cairenn_Day , but it turned into a snake :woman_shrugging:
Thanks for teaching the viking wire weaving class, @Sean_Ellwood

19 Likes

I made a couple ceramic slow feed bowls for our dogs! Pretty simple “obstacles”, but they’re enough to slow them down!

That means I got to feed all four hairy babies with slow feed bowls made with my own two hands today, and I gotta say, it’s a really satisfying feeling!

19 Likes

I haven’t been to the space in a long time, but here are some of the projects I’ve worked on in the garage for my house. The book box is for a special event.

26 Likes

Book box is very cool!