Show and Tell July 2020

I made a 1:12 scale olive oil “bottle”, using my Taig lathe, my Sherline mill, a rudimentary indexing fixture for “rotary machining”, and part of a resin blank that I cast at DMS a year ago. The bottle is going into a 1936 kitchen vignette. The bottle shape and dimensions are historically accurate.

The bottle is tapered like the original and there are twelve facets around the circumference.

I turned the stopper using a WW collet I inherited from Walter (RIP).

IMG_9152b_600px

24 Likes

how in gods name do you do it. should start a youtube channel

“honey I shrunk the kids” marlow style

10 Likes

that’s no joke. it would be very well received!

7 Likes

Did you model the replacement part or was it already made?

nope, it was on thingiverse, its perfectly done.

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Josh & Mitch Talk 3D Printing

For father’s day I received a 3d printer. It is an Ender 3 pro. I learned how to use a 3d printer at DMS. I love our polyprinters. I printed a number of things there when I first joined, including a great spiral chess set. The pieces took a while to print so I printed them individually. Over 40 hours of printing to get them all printed.

Recently, when I got my Ender 3 pro I decided to print another couple of chess sets on it. I printed a smaller version of the spiral set, a regular Staunton set and a Lewis miniature set. I play a lot of chess and I have quite a collection. I used to buy a set in every country I’ve visited and that is a lot of countries.

I’ve also printed a number of other things including: a baby yoda, 4 face mask strap holders, three plate display holders, all of the Ender 3 Pro’s demos which is a pig and a puppy, a pen and pencil cup, as well as a funnel.

Lastly, I printed a frame for an Amazon Fire 7 for my home automation project. I got all of these off of thingiverse.com. Needless to say the little Ender has been printing almost non-stop.

!

14 Likes

Now you need to do a baby Yoda/Star Wars chess set. The Dark Side and the good guys.

1 Like

Designed and prototyped the new Teledoc triage field testing cases for Veteran Affairs.
This way long term care Veteran’s don’t have to be logistically transported to the hospital jamming up the ER and risk exposure for triage.

16 Likes

PPE face shield frame that uses 3 hole punched report covers for the shield - 1

9 Likes

I was asked to make another one of these.

You can check out a time-lapse of it here.

8 Likes

I did a cheesy little hook for my headphones to attach to my Skandia desk. It’s not very impressive, but I thought some people with really old crappy desks might find inspiration.

16 Likes

That’s awesome!

Axel I assume you did this on a 3d printer. Can you share the stl please?

face shield PPE frame for use w/ clear report cover.

Note that with John’ Gorman’s insightful help, I changed the axis on it as it’s set wrong for the polyprinter - kissslicer - transform menu hidden in the right frame under a right click - make sure the 3 prongs face up with support.

Tried to fit a shield made from a 2 liter pepsi bottle on this, but it came up too short.

5 Likes

Thanks. I’ll give it a whirl on my new Ender 3 pro and see how it comes out. Thanks for the tips, too.

Thanks to the great help of @mrjimmy, I learned how to cut and polish yesterday. The fossil ridges proved to be a little challenging but it turned out so much better than I imagined. Now for the bezel…

18 Likes

Finally finished everything up. Ready to rock now. Gotta start telling people it’s high noon.

10 Likes

Nice work. Always wanted to do this for myself. It looks all handsewn and that in and of itself is quite an accomplishment.

Printed it on the new Ender 3 Pro. Pics attached. Thanks for the pointers. I didn’t need to use any raft, brim or support on the print

7 Likes