Show and Tell July 2020

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY

I have an old friend who is super into ska music. He’s been bugging me for a tiki so I made him a two tone tiki with the 2 tone records emblem on the back.

18 Likes

I used Topaz Lab’s AI Upscaling to try and “improve” the Huygen’s Probe video of Saturn’s moon Titan.
Zapruder Film Next!

11 Likes

I cut these out on the laser the other day and tooled them early this morning.

21 Likes

Hi all. My name is Paul Morley and I spend majority of my time at DMS in the machine shop although I love all of the options DMS affords me.

I just finished a pair of Machinist Jacks with extension blocks. I made these on a lathe and mill at home due to limiting time at the space because of C19.

Machinist jacks are used to stabilize or hold metal stock in a variety of work holding situations during milling operations. I made them from a piece of 1 inch diameter stainless steel shaft I salvaged from a motor that I won at an auction for $7. :slight_smile: I enjoy making something of value out of scrap.

Most of the work was on the lathe cutting the taper and drilling and cutting the threads on the adjustable piece. The heads swivel and are held on a ball I formed on the end of the screw. That took a while.

Thanks to all who post their fantastic makes as well. Always inspiring to see the talent on display at DMS.

27 Likes

I know they are jacks for heavy machining, but they are so nice they look like the kind of desk art sculpture they sell in the gallery store at the nasher!

4 Likes

I admit I have one sitting on my desk right now and I’m constantly fiddling with it. They exceeded my expectation on look and feel. More a function of the material than my skill I think…

9 Likes

Those are beautiful, and to be made from stainless no less. That took time, and dedication.

1 Like

3d printed an 8mm reel it wasn’t pretty but it works.
Sinking my teeth into watching old movies of people I don’t know.

16 Likes

Paul, these are fabulous! I have machinist envy. Well done.

1 Like

To try out the new THOR sewing table I made a small leather pillow using surplus quilt batting and leather from the #leathersale. Stitched inside out with a gap, inverted, stuffed, and the edge over stitched to seal it up.

Makes for nice lumbar support.

12 Likes

Here are a couple more. For the Eagle, Globe and Anchor I used the laser to trace my drawing on the leather, instead of using the common practice of tracing it with a stylus.

11 Likes

Making lemonade from lemons. This cheapo cast iron pan sells at Christmastime for about $6 (with cookie mix).

It’s too thin and too small to be good for cooking. I decided that it would be cool to have a cast iron spatula, but didn’t want to sacrifice a “real” skillet and it didn’t own a damaged one, so…

Here’s my cast iron cookie pan spatula (after getting after it with the angle grinder and flap disk (the surface was also very rough).

Now I just need to make some pancakes to try it out.

17 Likes

It could be an effective bug squasher if the spatula concept doesn’t work out.

4 Likes

Me and Ed made cinnamon rolls, does anyone want one? Only one catch - you have to come to California before we finish them.

(JK wear a mask and stay home.)

10 Likes

the cinnamon rolls at IKEA are pretty darn good.

1 Like

This is my first project in leather. I started it before I discovered Makerspace but am currently working on it there. (The missus doesn’t like to listen to tooling the leather or smell glue and dye all day in the apartment). It’s a holster and gunslinger belt. The belt and holster are 10-12oz veg tan. The straps are 6oz veg tan. Liner is 2oz veg tan.

16 Likes

A couple examples of next round of Custom stickers I ordered, a parody of WWJD? For the upcoming game CyberPunk 2077.

6 Likes

Used my Axiom CNC to make a cigar ashtray with a skull carved into it. I don’t smoke so I made it for a friend.

16 Likes