Show and Tell February 2023

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

This is the first cutting board I’ve made. It was fun to make and I was really happy with how it turned out.

20 Likes

Very nice!

I made the replacement shaft & gear assembly for the woodshops drum sander. The machine is not yet in service yet until it can be deemed load tested as to not break anything again. I machined it from 2” 4140 steel, down to the gear blank diameter. I then put it into the dividing head & cut the 37 teeth. Thanks to @rlisbona for the help Tuesday night keeping cadence, & also thanks to @nugen for donating the cutters & arbor to machine shop. I do plant on making 1 more just because there was a lot of intrest in seeing the gear cut. I want to make a video of it as well.

By the way, it fits beautifully

23 Likes

@TBJK your patience amazes me! Looks great!

1 Like

It’s incredible to see the depth of talent that people bring to the space.
Wy to go!

1 Like

Memento gift box(es) for some heirloom jewelry. Each box is about the size of a deck of cards. Started two boxes “just in case” - actually ended up with two mirror image boxes.

It took a village. I am grateful to everyone who consulted or helped. @mdredmond did 99% of the MultiCam work (I did the design, artwork, and cleaned up!) This involved several tests and fixtures in addition to the actual routing. @Daniel_Bryson poured (and provided) the resin. Many people consulted. @Caroline_Crawford removed the bolo tie clasps from the pieces and added bails. The turquoise had to be removed from the larger piece and the bezel completely reconstructed.

There was a surprising amount of hand work involved, especially after the MultiCam; hours of hand sanding to clean up the tear out on the end grain. I milled the resin flat before sanding the tops. Laser engraving on Fusion.

22 Likes

Technically made before feb but I’ve been slow posting pictures lately.

19 Likes

Very nicely done. Beautiful work.

3 Likes

Another inlayed cutting board for a friend

17 Likes

I took another crack at silver-gilding book edges. This is my second try and I’ve learned a lot about the process.

It’s not perfect, but there’s a lot of silver on this edge. I think round 3 might be when i get this right.

Got a lot of fussing to do.

15 Likes

Took the RailRoad Spike Knife class with @coloneldan tonight. Had a great time learning the tools. I stayed after for a little bit to “hone” my skills, and my new knife…
Knife class

15 Likes

Hey buddy, are those appetizer forks?

1 Like

Technically Corn Cob forks but you could use them either way.

3 Likes

Smaller projects last week. Will be working on a beast of a walnut burl project later this month.

Walnut burl round table to come (that wood is 80lbs by itself):

The smaller trays finished up last week

22 Likes

Gorgeous work. I hope you had a good time making them. The time and effort in the exquisite beauty of them is evident.

3 Likes

Thank you! I do really enjoy the process, and gifting them even more :slight_smile:

1 Like

that one piece almost looks like Ohio

I saw your IG, you are a great talent.

1 Like