New Blacksmithing Class to Make a RR Spike Knife

I see it now. Thanks

As it turns out, I copied the event from the previous event and neglected to reduce the number of available slots. There are, as a consequence, five slots in the class. There are still two remaining.

Finished my knife today! Thanks for teaching us Dan! Here is my before and after.

5 Likes

All, @jbrown885 the RR SPIKE KNIFE class has been CANCELED for tonight. I’ve canceled the class on the event calendar and notified all of the students via email. They should receive their money back from the cancellation, correct? I canceled the class due to the inclement weather. One of the students notified me that they probably couldn’t get to DMS from Ponder this evening.

I’m going to reschedule the class for another evening, hopefully soon.

Be safe out there everyone.

1 Like

Refunds should be automatic but if anyone is missing a refund please send me a PM. :slight_smile:

1 Like

We had a makeup class last night for the class originally scheduled during our ice storm. Everyone that was able made up the class. A couple of people had problems making the class due to illness, but others were able to take advantage of the open slots and the class had four students.

We had one student with an issue with his twist which caused a crack in his blade. I gave him a second spike so hopefully he will have an opportunity to create another knife.

@hforsberg one of the students last night, posted his knife here:

In addition @Grant_Adams picked up some new tongs and sanding belts from:

@artg_dms was kind enough to setup an account with them and order everything, Grant picked up, for us on his DFS credit card. Thank you Art! We used almost everything last night. It is most appreciated.

Lastly, I will not be teaching a knife class for the next two Tuesdays. Next Tuesday is Valentines and my wife has other plans. The following Tuesday is the 21st which is our blacksmithing committee meeting at 7:00PM at DMS. Here are some other notable blacksmithing dates.

Open Forge Date is Sunday 2/26/2023 @ 10:00AM.
Open Forge Project Horseshoe Heart
Induction Forge Date 2/28/23,@ 7:00PM
Induction Forge Training Project RR Spike Knife

NTBA meeting 2/11/23 AT 10 AM – 3 PM Demo Day for the NTBA!!! Gaby’s Blacksmith Shop Frisco, Texas Heritage Association of Frisco, Inc Gaby’s Blacksmith Shop | Heritage Association of Frisco, Inc

1 Like

How can I sign up for the class on the 28th? I don’t see it on the Calendar-
Thanks

I haven’t put the class up yet. I’ll likely put it up in a couple of days.

1 Like

I just put up another RR Spike Knife class for 2/28/2023 at 7PM. Five spots open. It should appear on the calendar in a few days at most.

2 Likes

Signed up. Thanks!

We had a great RR spike class last night and UNFORTUNATELY I didn’t take a picture until a couple of guys has already left.

It was my first time to teach the RR class with the PROPANE forge and man did it make a huge difference.
It will likely allow me to increase the class size for future classes.

Here’s a picture of several of the students from last night.

You can look for more classes on the calendar.

1 Like

Incidentally, I had a one person attend the class but didn’t get to register. How do we add students to the class AFTER the class has been conducted. It was @kthompson395

When you set up the class, you can select the time you would like to allow late registrations [up to 30 minutes after class starts]. This only helps if you have an open spot in the calendar system [if the class is full and you have a no-show you are out of luck].

If you can’t register him beforehand and

• want to add them to an AD group, you have to add them manually. Discussion can be found here: LINK There is a video showing the process

• need them to pay for the class [if it is a fee class], I typically have them make a deposit in the local kiosk [for the Woodshop class, I have them drop it in the woodshop kiosk - or “purchase” something of the same cost if they want to use plastic].

• are needing a third person for the honorarium, you can normally PM the treasurer with a link to the class and the name of the additional person.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. I had three who registered for the class and attended and one who came as a standby. I was happy to add him to the class. I had six register for the class and three cancel, including one guy who has cancelled on two separate occasions. I guess, I’m going to have to require approvals for students in a class in the future. Still, I usually have quite a bit of interest in the class.

1 Like

If you have an AD setup for the tool, you can go manually add him in.

Hi Dan, that guy who cancelled twice was me, unfortunately. A lot of bad timing between the storm cancelling the initial class, and different health issues on two separate occasions, so If you want to make it approval only or bar me from the future, I totally understand, as that’s not fair to you as an instructor.

So I apologize for what’s happened and I want to take ownership for what’s happened.

No need to apologize. Actually, you’re not the person I was describing. Life does get in the way and accidents happen, too. I certainly wouldn’t want you to come sick.

As long as you let me know ahead of time that you need to cancel I can be prepared. I can promote the class for others to take your slot. I understand. I’ve been there.

What is problematic is people who DON’T let me know and just don’t show. It is a small class already so the class is just better when there are five students.

Please do register again. I don’t want to BAR anyone, just prioritize if I have to. I’d love to have you in my classes.

1 Like

Hi Dan, thanks for understanding, and I agree, no shows are frustrating as an instructor. I’ve been messaging you on talk to let you know ahead of time w.r.t the cancellations. Is there a better way for me to reach you?

Talk is usually fine. I turned on notifications so I get more immediate notice, but I’m on talk pretty often.
You can also text me at 214 seven seven three 6889, too.

1 Like

Sounds good. Talk is a bit easier for me than text, but I’ll keep that number handy.