Show and Tell December 2022

Built a stout (as in really stout) workbench for a customer’s laser business. Build utilized 6 sheets of 18mm x 4’ x 8’ Baltic birch for the torsion box top and for the cabinet pedestals. The drawers are identical on both sides for a total of 16 drawers, all made from 3.5 sheets of 12mm Baltic birch. The drawer bottoms are 2 sided 1/4" melamine. Mobile workbench rides of 8 locking casters. Easy to roll, hard to lift!

23 Likes

What woods did you use in project?

The larger edge grain board is Black Walnut and Cherry.

The end grain is Katalox and I think it was Hard Maple.

Thanks. You did a great job.

For my milling machine at home, I am rebuilding the pulley for the drive system. The OEM is cast aluminum hard anodized, well the repair on it didn’t go as hoped. SO I picked up a billet piece of 6061 aluminum 10”square by 3” thick. This piece of aluminum was 25 lbs when I started. I cut the corners off to make it fit in the Colchester 4jaw chuck before getting to work turning.

Started machining down the OD, It was an interrupted cut for a while & I had to get creative with the tooling setup. I ran the lathe backwards with a boring bar in to get the job done.

Hollowing out was inter with the tooling setup as well. I didn’t bore the center to allow for the pulley half to be hard anodized with good contact so the pulley face would not be jeopardized.

Used a T handle Allen wrench in the interim as a power feed to allow a smoother finish. It was a challenge

Did a quick video, had a little fun with it too.

16 Likes

Beautiful job Tim. Amazing craftsmanship.

3 Likes

Project from Hand Tufting class taught by @madisonaconnell

15 Likes

Beautiful!!!

4 Likes

Minor machining project to make an X-axis travel stop for my Sherline mill. I don’t have a DRO and it gets tedious counting all those handwheel turns for repetitive parts.

8 Likes

So for the MakeMade gift exchange I made some bass dice. I started with .625 brass square stock, I cut the stock to nominal dimension. Then put them into the Bridgeport to square it off. Once I squared them up, to the Pasma milling machine. I setup the work stop on the vice, found the center & started making the pips with a .125” ball nose endmill.

23 Likes

Were you able to use the DRO to set the “hole pattern”, or did you do all the locations manually?

I didn’t even think of the hole pattern. I did a few test pieces to see what I liked & looked the best.

2 Likes

A tangential question: are the aluminum shavings ever saved to be used in a smelter for casting?

Take all you want if they are in the trash can. We had someone do it regularly.

Caveats:

1. You cannot wash or clean them off at DMS. The coolant makes the waste have to dispose of. at a hazardous waste site (applies to Haas or any coolant feed tool. You’d be saving DMS money)
  2. Shavings may have other metals, plastics, or composites
  3. ONLY shavings, no savaging other pieces of metal, even small pieces have value.

No scrap is too small to save …

:wink:

3 Likes

Reminds me of a Monty Python song… :nerd_face: #imanerdandproudofit

1 Like

We had spider class tonight!

21 Likes

A large soup mug i made with loca mocha clay … black underglaze at bottom, topped with seaweed, oatmeal and one of the iron glazes

20 Likes

Hoping this prototype thrown/handbuilt vase thing survives the dry out process & 2 firings

9 Likes

Just finished a 2-week Christmas present speedrun.

This will be a leather bound book and i am no good at tooling leather by hand. So I modeled and printed a very large leather stamp based on the cover of the original book.

And the result of that stamp is honestly not that bad.

End result demo. We have a dyed leather-bound book with marble endpapers and hand-sewn endbands.

19 Likes