Show and Tell December 2022

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing this month inspired by Dallas Makerspace.

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a decent QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog)
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
2 Likes

IMG_1986
My first cutting board of any kind
IMG_1940
My first handbuilt ceramic gnome helping with my first end grain cutting board
IMG_1942
IMG_1945
IMG_1951
Setting the board up during the Slab mill cutting board class.
IMG_1988
Finished and oiled

18 Likes

Took lathe class. Going to use as a clay roller.

Also made this seed bead stretchy ring. Tried to make a second one with white seed beads. Spilled the bead container on the floor of CA. No big deal, swept it up. Then was sizing the ring and half the beads flew off. Decided to take this as a sign to throw in the towel. So if you find white seed beads in CA I am both impressed with your eye sight and frustrated I missed some while cleaning them up. Wasn’t for lack of trying.

13 Likes

I needed a set of tuxedo shirt studs to match my cuff links for an event tomorrow, and I couldn’t find exactly what I wanted for sale, so I took @sroriginals fantastic Hydroflux class on Thursday night and made exactly what I need. What would’ve cost at least $400 and not arrived in time instead cost only $40 and comes with a good story - if only all my projects came in ahead of schedule and under budget!

18 Likes

I machined some bushings for the Woodshops drum sander. We got the Oilite today, I machined it after the Metal shop meeting today. It started out as “allegedly” 1” stock but was actually 1.1” in diameter. Before machining, I took measurements & created a drawing. I machined on the lathe to the OD for the shoulder, .795”. Then turned down to the minor diameter .671. I then drilled to 1/2” the inner diameter, then bored with a boring bar to just over .550”. Then parted the bushings off. After they were all parted off, I put them in the 5C collet block in the lathe to clean up the other side. I made 5 just incase something goes sideways with one of them. The old bushings were no longer round but out of round by .015”

22 Likes

Raku demo today at our Ceramics meet up

11 Likes

15 Likes

Beautiful work.

1 Like

Does it physically have to be made at DMS? I’ve been working on a video game with pygame and I’m not sure of this would apply

4 Likes

I say, “Share it!” We like to see what people are working on. It might inspire someone else.

4 Likes

Haven’t drawn in a bit so tried to wipe off some of the rust. Pencil and pen on smooth Bristol paper

41 Likes

Gorgeous work. Amazzing detail and shading.

1 Like

Beautiful. You are very talented.

1 Like

Cat image, cut in @coffeebean 's Silhouette Cameo class, and applied to long sleeve T shirt with the heat press.

Depending on the light it either appears bright like the photos or fairly dark. I’m delighted with how the vinyl looks. April had it in her stash and IMO it’s just perfect on the black shirt.

21 Likes

AWEsome pictures

1 Like

@coloneldan @John_Marlow @hforsberg thank you! Lots of patience :sweat_smile:

Not a speck of rust in that work! Awesome.

1 Like

Thank you!

I feel like if I’d had the time to stop by the DMS this month, making this would have been easier :laughing:. But with everything going on, I couldn’t justify the time to make the trips that would have been needed.

Anyway, I needed a new temporary replacement Time Circuit Display while I keep not reworking the 7-segment LED version. So once again, I pulled some galvanized aluminum roof flashing from the Lowe’s shelves, and went to work with my tin snips, Dremel, laser printer and Sharpies, and ended up with this:

Process compilation shots:

Also reworked some string beads:
For some reason, they don’t produce period or exclamation point beads, nor Radiation symbol ones. And I need those if my bracelets or necklaces are going to be saying “1.21 Gigawatts” or “Great Scott!” :nerd_face:

19 Likes