Show and Tell August 2022

I’m a bit late to the party but here goes. Back into making leather armor. These were a bit of a rush job for a Ren fair in Pittsburgh for My sister in law and Nephew. I have made my nephew’s before so it’s a duplicate, but my sister in law’s was a new build. so I can claim to be moving forward.

21 Likes

Picked up some BlueSCSI PCBs and built three of them out.

They are cheap devices that use the Blue Pill Arduino board and an SD card to emulate a SCSI hard drive for vintage computers, like Macintosh. Most of it was standard thru-hole soldering, except for the tiny pins on the SD card jack.

It wasn’t too hard to solder the jack in. It took longer to get it placed properly on the pads than to solder in place.

8 Likes

Turned a wine opener from a piece of driftwood my nephew picked up in France. I’m really happy how it turned out.

13 Likes

This was quite a project! I could not have gotten it done without lots and lots and lots of help - special shoutout to @got_tools and @Julie-Harris

21 Likes

I’ve been slowly updating my home network. What it looks like today:

I’ve been slowly consolidating the various bits of networking in the house into a single ‘MDF’ in my office closet. It’s a challenging space since it’s directly behind the door to said closet, so I’ve opted for vertical orientation:

No I do not need 48 LAN ports in the house, but I do need ultimately need more than 24 thus the two patch panels.

The dark blue cables going to the patch panel are Cat6A, the grey cables are Cat5E. I’ll run down the 250’ reel of Cat6A for important runs but otherwise will pull Cat6 for the bulk ports.

As soon as I get a shipment from the vendor and find the time to pull some more cable for the APs it will look like this:

10GbE networking is certainly more OP than most need, but future-proofing and I do presently subscribe to 2Gb/2Gb service from my employer.

Phase 2 as originally sketched out was … aspirational: consolidate the core switch to a single 1GbE/10GbE/POE switch, 10GbE NAS. Reality is apt to be more evolutionary: add utility PoE switches as I add cameras (they’re 100Mb devices - can gang them 10:1 on 1GbE links without any theoretical performance hit) and a smaller 10GbE switch between the router and core switch should I acquire more 10GbE devices.

4 Likes

Didn’t HRC have a similar set-up? Oh wait, sorry that was bathroom.

2 Likes

I run tech for a local science fiction convention called FenCon.

Our con is coming up in a little over two weeks. I have some new lights for our main programming area, and needed some heavier bases for the support poles.

Thanks to a good bit of patient assistance from @rlisbona , I was able to use the CNC plasma cutter to make four ~ 24x18 in plates out of 1/4 steel. Each has a handle, slots for bolting on additional weights, and a hole pattern for carriage bolts for attaching a floor flange.

If I remember, I’ll update with an “action shot” in 3 weeks or so.

10 Likes