Show and Tell August 2022

epoxy resin vase.Used jet lathe.

16 Likes

Cast via lost wax in bronze during last week’s casting lab.

21 Likes

In progress pouches for a roll-up carry bag for two of our craft show tile rack stands, using a large canvas drop cloth from Home Depot.

I still need to sew the 4’ long pipe pouches, then attach everything to the backing that will allow it all to roll up into a single bundle with a carry handle.

11 Likes

Did a restore on the cheap of an old Kennedy machinist toolbox that i got at an estate sale. It was in bad shape. I think it sat in water for a period of time. Rust and peeling paint. I had to peel all the old felt out and remove the drawer pulls. Did electrolysis on it to strip the paint and to remove some of the rust. Then used the vapor hone at dms to get it to bare clean metal. Primed it and painted it with enamel. Did a clear coat on the black portions. Made some drawer pulls out of ebony and put new felt in it. I think it came out okay. Would have been nicer to get original crinkle paint or powder coat it and buy a felt kit from kennedy, but was trying to spend very little. Also dissappointed to lose kennedy painted signature on top.

22 Likes

Looks pretty good to me: I always like to see restored old tools/tooling.

FYI, Rustoleum has a “hammered” finish texture paint which would work well on a project like this. Sold at Home Depot for about $11 for a rattle can (also in brush on). Several metallic colors, plus black, are available.

1 Like

Took part in a Blacksmithing competition in Colorado.

I had 20 minutes to convert a 2” long piece of 1” round bar into a 6 sided die (with appropriate pips forged in.

Starting piece:

20 minutes of frantic forging later…

Not a cube, but cub(ish).

A lot of fun. DMS Blacksmithing should consider doing a similar competition some evening/weekend.

16 Likes

Coffee mug collection Display

14 Likes

Stained glass piece i made in Christy’s class

24 Likes

Very nice. Very creative and beautiful colors and textures. Nice job.

1 Like

I won second place with this quilt - Stitchery Mandala - in the miniature quilt category at the Plano Quilt Show this past weekend (Aug 12-13).

I designed this sucker in summer 2019, sitting at the bowling table in Creative Arts, armed with my laptop and the big color copier/printer. I was preparing to spend the first week of September at a resort on Elk Lake in Elk Rapids, Michigan at a Holly Girls Retreat, coordinated by sisters Pat Holly and Sue Nickels. The theme that year was “medallion quilts.” My plan at that time was to make this is the central medallion, and surround it with borders with sewing themes; zippers, buttons, stitches, etc. But, once I got into it, I decided it could stop here. As it is, it took until last month to finish this much, as other things kept side-tracking me.

If I live long enough and don’t get distracted, I plan to make a much larger version of this.

23 Likes

Well I decided to go I’m a murderous rampage!!! Just kidding been on a film set shooting a movie

12 Likes

Glass is AWESOME! Thanks @Christykaake for spending SO MUCH TIME with us that move at the speed of frozen molasses!!!

18 Likes

Yes thank you @lcmw0921 :blush: here are some other students’ works from my classes so far :slightly_smiling_face:

I didn’t get pictures of everyone’s… hopefully they will post them when they’re ready :wink:

24 Likes

This is such an awesome class! A huge thank you to @Christykaake for teaching it. :smiley:

5 Likes

Also I would like to show off my new wood turning skills I’ve been learning from @prl2018 , @Lordrook & @Sperry8520

25 Likes

Cast via lost wax in silver during recent casting lab.

24 Likes

I laser etched a photo from the James Webb telescope with the fusion

20 Likes

Quilted organizer bag, with embroidered initials and lots of zippered compartments. It’s about 10" long and 6" diameter.

01 IMG_4086b_600px

I’ve also quilted the outside, but you have to look closely to see it since I used yellow thread on yellow fabric.

16 Likes

Finally finished up the Plutonium Gauge Cluster bracket.

Started life as a 9x14 galvanized aluminum termite shield from Lowe’s.

After an evening in the metal shop with the brakes, hole puncher, and corner cutter; and a number of hours during later weeks tweaking the fit to the #KiaTimeMachine’s dashboard, I finally got it to an acceptable level.

Also revamped the entire backlight system– no more Christmas tree lights! :laughing:

12 Likes

Miniature croquet set. It will be used in an attic scene, with other vintage items.

Before aging:

This was primarily a lathe project. Turning pieces .070" dia and 2.5" long … a little tricky.

The balls were roughed with a radius turner (and a lot of manual clean up).

And since the Taig radius turner design needed improving … this turned into a Bridgeport project!

19 Likes