Show and Tell August 2022

Post to this thread with some photos and a description of something you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) and we’ll help you join in our fun, too!**

Small craft projects, large CNC router projects, quick & dirty tools made by tools, and so much more happen at Dallas Makerspace. Cool things done at DMS by cool people often go unseen by our peers, not to mention the curious public. Post up here to share the interesting things you are doing with Dallas Makerspace this month!

These posts help promote cohesiveness and community at Dallas Makerspace, inspire others to make a cool something. and help our PR show off what can be done here using social media or blog posts (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Consider the following on each post, to help make for richer experiences:

• a QUALITY photo can help us with the vision
  • WHO you are, possibly for attribution outside of this venue, but also to help our fellow members get to know each other (or at least each other’s work)
  • WHAT you’ve made might not be immediately obvious, but even if it is, we :heart: a good story!
  • HOW you’ve made it (and perhaps HOW DMS helped) inspires others to follow along
  • WHY you made it (all about the inspiration, dontchaknow)
2 Likes

I made a large shot glass and a pen.

21 Likes

My former shop neighbor is a cabinet maker/remodeler. His client brought this to him as inspiration:

So, after a virtual trip to Athens, Greece to get a model made, the 24" wide x 12" high x 7.8" deep shell decor was made from Spanish cedar. Model was sliced into 6 layers 1.3" thick, carved, glued, gap filled, and sand, sand, sand, and sand some more to yield this:

Thankfully this is being painted. Would not be keen to tackle this if it had to be a stain grade result!

25 Likes

Made a couple dichroic glass and silver pendants this past weekend.

22 Likes

Omg that’s amazing

1 Like

An interesting journey of a project is finally finishing up. Customer commissioned a twin size bed for a toddler that was based on this bed plan on Etsy:

The plans were very thorough and the assembly instructions called for glue and screws at virtually every joint. Funny thing about those plans … you would have to build it inside the room it was to stay in and unless that room had a truly massive door, you could never get it out! What was the plan maker thinking???

Anywho, revised the plans to make it into a ready to assemble system, added some client requested decorative features, and then got my finish guy to do his magic.

Here’s a couple of pics of the final product:

23 Likes

What no lighting? Might as well have a security system installed, too. Cabinets? Shelves? Yeah, I know I’m just kibitzing. Beautful work Bert! I’m sure the family will decorate it with their own stickers, decals etc, too.

2 Likes

It’s for a two year old! I’ve asked if they would consider adopting me. :rofl:

4 Likes

Printed a few pieces from the Gridfinity system.
Took some cleanup (true of most printing I’ve done) and adding the magnets and weights was messy but go easier after a few mistakes.

Picture makes it look nicer and cleaner than real life. I’m 50/50 on printing more and using the system for organizing stuff.

Edit: Gridfinity models by Zack Freedman (Gridfinity: Your Ultimate Modular Workshop is FREE! - YouTube)

9 Likes

Recently been experimenting with acid etching with ferric chloride for some effects pedals. I hate the way the pedal on the top came out, but the other two were more promising. I still have a lot to learn, but I like the look of it.

6 Likes

Bert,

This is fabulous. I’d love to hear more of the details for each step of the process. Machining the Spanish cedar must have left your shop smelling like the inside of a cigar humidor.

Jeff

I machine Sp Cedar frequently. It’s a mahogany family wood in spite of the name. Used for exterior items like doors and windows. Yes, smells nice!

As a 2 fingered Biblical typist (seek & ye shall find) I’ll pass on typing up lots of detail. Drop by my shop sometime and I’ll show you.

Thanks again, @j801496, for the drill press trick.

8 Likes

Working on some knives this week. I’ve finished one, these other needs a little more work tonight.

The blade is a Mora Kniv #1 the scales are burled walnut. Sealed with Hut Crystal Coat for the natural color.

13 Likes

Bert,

I’d love to see your shop sometime and I don’t blame anyone for sparing us the gory details.

2 Likes

Bert’s shop is great! I had the pleasure of checking it out a while back. It is worth the trip.

Dye sub plaques for a bowling tournament. Other than the last place plaques, I took all of the photos, as well. Some where printed with my printer and some were printed at the ‘Space. Last place plaques have a dye sublimated gold plate that I cut and notched, as well. All the first place plaques weew packed up by the time I remembered to take pictures.

12 Likes

Finished my second knife. This one is a Damascus blade off Amazon with mulberry handles. The mulberry is from the tree @HankCowdog cut down for me a couple years ago.

14 Likes

I made a leather tool case for my grandfather’s saddle maker tools and my leather tools

27 Likes