Show and Tell August 2021

Inspiring Others Is Inspiring!

Inspire your fellow makers by posting some photos and a description of something you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) in this thread!

Small craft projects, large CNC router projects, quick & dirty tools made by tools, and so much more happen at Dallas Makerspace. Cool things done at DMS by cool people often go unseen by our peers, not to mention the curious public. Post up here to share the interesting things you are doing with Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here will help promote Dallas Makerspace, inspire others to make something. and help DMS PR show off what can be done here using social media or blog posts (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer experience:

• a QUALITY photo
  • WHO you are (for attribution outside of this venue)
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • HOW you’ve made it (and perhaps HOW DMS helped)
  • and WHY
1 Like

I finished the Raspberry Pi Pico microcontroller pneumatic system for the battlebot Subzero. Our goal was to prevent wasted gas by timing the open time of the solenoids more precisely. I had a ton of help from @redslashace and @Evan_Lott with my lack of micropython skills and using KiCAD. I learned a lot on this project.

Here’s the first time testing it in the bot.

Now we’re potting it to battle-harden the board

Nothing has been formally announced but I’ll let everyone know when our next event will be.

15 Likes

Made a couple of knife handles and some shop pencils.

17 Likes

Love the purple galaxy handle

2 Likes

(video that I cant upload here)

physical input controller joystick. it uses an arduino. Its being used to control a game of joust at the moment. proximity sensor, and left right up down based motion

i don’t recommend posting this to the DMS social media. it’s an off grid project for a reason. just wanted to show it off here since it is objectively cool.

5 Likes

I have an event coming up that requires a few fundoshi (traditional japanese underwear) So i just went ahead and sewed them. Also did heat vinyl for some non sensical lettering on headbands.

4 Likes

This is cAndroid, who is a first cousin of Google’s Bugdroid:

He says hello.

11 Likes

I’m working on upcyling a book I got from our local Litle Free Library. All Creatures Great and Small is a favorite book of mine, so I thought I’d upgrade the binding on this copy.

I based this upgrade (and used the leather pattern as a starting point) from this Instructable.

Still a work in progress: I need to cut a slightly wider spine and dye/finish the leather before stitching the leather together.

The new cover is laser cut from 4oz leather and then hand-tooled. It will be saddle-stitched to the binding leather.

I added new facepapers, headbands, and a new super on the inside as well.

19 Likes

An acrylic base made for Jimmy Arledge’s hand router. Made to add support on some angled cuts he has to make. First project from the PigSig.

10 Likes

I made these bass reflex speakers out of 3/4" MDF and veneered them with Sapele. The design is from parts express and is called “Dr. K’s MTM” if you’re interested in the crossovers/drivers/etc…

75%](upload://t3AR8mSBOQVTvnONTCZhNGPuVwr.jpeg)

15 Likes

Gorgeous work. I’ve been getting into speaker design the past several months and it’s been quite fun. Cool to see others doing the same!

I’ve had productive couple of days, 2 off the three of these were made in the last two days to make it in time for the state fair drop off deadline today.

14 Likes

I think you should send followup pics of the event that you made the items for. :grinning::scream:

My name is Tim.

I installed a new convertible top at the makerspace.

It was a pain. I’m so glad I didn’t have to do it outside in the heat.

It works great now but I do need to bring the car in again pretty soon to make some slight adjustments.

13 Likes

Greenman 12x12 Fused bullseye glass, nickle backing, on woodshop scrap someone tossed about 2 years ago.

Now I need to figure out how to light it up. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

I finally got around to glazing a little teapot I made in a class in early 2020, and I’m so happy with how it came out. I call her Ursula the poor unfortunate teapot.

Is she perfect? No. But neither am I. And she has a lot of personality.

I’ve had such a wonderful time learning pottery at DMS from the committee, members, and instructors. I was an absolute beginner when I started, will probably always be a beginner, but it’s been so great learning from you all. Better than therapy, really.

Thank you to everyone in ceramics. I’ve learned so much from you all – even just in informal chats and watching how you work.

17 Likes

im glad you finally glazed it

1 Like

Thats all that matters. Glad to hear your happy with it.

1 Like

That’s a fantastic color!

1 Like