Show and Tell April 2021

Found a Yamaha SW60XG sound card at Computer Reset and in researching what it was, besides definitely not a SB clone, I found it was a whole XG synthesizer on an ISA card. I also found a hackaday page on it where a guy figured out where to tap it for the the Midi in / Midi out signals and turned it into a standalone synth.

I took a $1 item from Goodwill ComputerWorks and salvaged its case and ordered a sheet of ABS from Amazon to cut out new end panels. Found a 3-socket ISA Bus card, +5/+12 power brick, and pre-wired DIN jacks at Computer Reset. The USB-to-Midi cable, optoisolator, and protoboard from eBayā€¦ The jacks were from Mouser, and a slew of other parts were from my shop.

The result: a standalone Yamaha Midi Synth!

The jack on the top will be for a short cable to bring the audio from the card down to the box to route the audio to the jacks on the back panel. That hasnā€™t come in yet from eBay.

All the signals from the Midi jacks on the back panel and the Midi I/O on the sound card were done through unused pins on the ISA bus. The control signals to the card (IOW, IOR, /AEN) were done on the protoboard, along with the RESET signal and the buffering of the Midi signals. I added in +5 and +12v LEDs for quick indicators of the power brick.

A quick menu change and Sony ACID Music Studio 10.0 was outputting Midi data to the synth :slight_smile:

The result: https://www.facebook.com/791009131/videos/pcb.10158501599749132/10158501667154132

18 Likes

This is great, would love to learn more. Are you just bending clear plastic diffuser tubing and then sticking some sort of LED strip/tape into it, or is there a sort of combined solution that is commercially available for these DIY bending applications?

What temperature do you need to heat the tube to to bend it?

Excited to see/learn more!

1 Like

Itā€™s commercial LED lighting with an inverted U shaped light guide and a flexible LED light engine you press in after forming. Heat to 300F for bending. It had tightest minimum bend radius Iā€™ve seen of about 1" and pretty short cut length of 2" between LED modules. I was originally looking at some flexible LED I called Sloan Flexibright but it had a 12" bend radius, but you donā€™t need to heat that so would have been much easier if I could live with that big a radius. My test bend was around a piece of pipe. My next step is to route a groove in some MDF for the final heart shape.

I could have saved some time by buying the oven for $3,700 or renting it for $370/week but that didnā€™t seem challenging enough and I have already spent enough $$$ on this little project.
https://products.gecurrent.com/sign-lighting/tetra-contour

7 Likes

Made this ā€œGeorge Nakashimaā€ style knockdown trestle dining table with the walnut that Ian brought back from Missouri. It breaks down into 4 parts so it can be moved easy. It is held together with two removable wedges. Mortise and tenon joinery with two through mortises at each wedge. The top is made from two resawn bookmatched boards and has breadboard ends. Finished with Rubio Monocoat.

26 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for posting. I watched the video at the link you provided. Iā€™m impressed that youā€™re able to get a 1" radius bend out of it, it looked quite stiff in the photo. Good stuff. Expensive though!

Finally got around to making a new marquetry Christmas ornament.
Itā€™s walnut, tigerwood, and a couple of dyed veneers. cheers!

13 Likes

Here are a couple pens I made this weekend. I painted the tubes then cast them with a clear resin. Added some mica and starlight powder to the resin. Now the pic and videos due them justice.

13 Likes

Hope Iā€™m doing this right. Long time member of DMS but never posted here in the Show & Tell thread.
This is a leather flask/canteen that I was commissioned to make for a music video. It had to contain a liquid that would be poured out on camera, but other than that I had full creative discretion. The origin of this item, within the context of the story, is ancient Persia. I chose to wrap a pair of burnished leather pieces over glass. They were joined with a third piece of leather between them, and crudely stitched. The design application was achieved by laser. Overall, the producer was excited about the outcome.

18 Likes

So on my lathe, Iā€™m having to changed the pulley on the input shaft to my pump. The pulley diameter was 7.25 with a motor size of 5.5ā€ this gave me a max output of about 1200 rpm. I want to get my lathe back up to the 2500RPM output it was designed to do. So throwing some numbers around, I was able to drop the input shaft size to 3ā€ to give me just over 3200-3500 RPM. There is further reduction with the output of the Hydrostatic transmission to the head stock. I would have had to machine a bore on a pulley anyway so I tried to get it all done today. Getting a belt seemed to be a sticking point. So I will have to get one tomorrow.

Anyway I had to machine the bore on the pulley to 1.1875 (1 3/16ā€) I then broached the keyway, I wanted to do 3/16 but the broaches would have taken some work. Now that I had to do that, I had to machine unequal key stock or step key stock. I took some 1/4ā€ key stock, fixtured it in the Bridgeport while using 2 stacked parallels & some .012ā€ shim stock to get the clearance I needed for the vice.

23 Likes

Our new house had an old, no longer working intercom system and no doorbell, and the wife wanted to put up a new ring doorbell in its place.

Unfortunately the old intercom system had a massive hole in the brick that had to be covered.

Thanks to @rlisbona for the donation of his workā€™s sheet metal I was able to whip up a quick box cover in an afternoon.

21 Likes

@nicksilva has been busy! Nice work.

This was actually March but screw it.
OMGGGGGGGGGG BERTHA!! She WAS such a drama queen. We called her Wandering Waterbear because you canā€™t kill a waterbearā€¦so we foolishly thought.

lemme tell you the hellscape of this camperā€¦strap inā€¦because itā€™s a dumpster fire from start to finish.

Inherited it. We knew it wasnā€™t anything special but we wanted a super low cost way to travel during the pandemic. We THOUGHT this was an answer. Put in something like $3k and have something to tool around for a year and visit all the parksā€¦take it out for long bits because husband can work from homeā€¦oh how foolishly stupid one can be when full of dreams creativity and a budget.

So Iā€™m not sure if you read but we had substantial damage from the freeze. Our entire world is upside downā€¦keep that in mind.

Here we go.
House freezes and we no longer have walls or a floor or a semblance of sanity.
Rip out walls/get into emergency stay at a one room hotel.
I had preplanned a camping trip at Possum kingdom state park about a half a year ago with @kpblitzen42 family - up from Austin and down from Wichita Falls. We talk and decided to just YOLO it. It coincides with the moving out of the hotel and the moving into our longer-term-yet-still-short-term apartment in the sky. We arenā€™t ready but letā€™s just go anywaysā€¦we need a break and itā€™s going to be a beautiful weekendā€¦letā€™s freaking go!

Thatā€™s the start of the movie.

We begin our driveā€¦no waitā€¦the slide out is broken. Kenneth needs to JACK the slide out in and out and we need to physically push it from the outside to get it back on track. Well that was fun and only took us a few hours to do. Keep in mind this entire time Iā€™m moving the ā€œto be doneā€ stuff into the RV boxes that have been moved around from the freeze were chunking into the RV. Everything EVERY SINGLE thing in the house has been moved around/shifted to the garage or possibly upstairsā€¦stuff everywhere.
We begin our drive a bit later than anticipated. Why does this matter?
Well Iā€™ll tell youā€¦when the lights are on some alarm we couldnā€™t figure out continually rang as we drove. So Kenneth in the RV is just listening to a beeeeeeeeeeeeee for hours. We stopped for earplugs. We get to the state park hours after we anticipated because we find the thing canā€™t move above 45mph but weā€™re checked inā€¦ahhhh nature so calming.

This is the face of a man whoā€™s blood pressure is sky high from stress but heā€™s still smiling because his soul is one of pure beautifulness.

Kenneths mother and aunt are already at the park. Comfortable and all sorts of prepared. We are rolling in like three deranged crackheads. We hookup the waterā€¦the hot water heater explodes. Water spills out everywhere. EVERYWHERE. We stop the water. Cussing. Lots of cussing. Knees in the water.
Keep in mind we are already exhausted.
We go to setup to sleepā€¦we need to still assemble my sons futon. All of this was on the to-do list. PS so excited about this futonā€¦itā€™s a wonderful mustard colorā€¦so cool but we just didnā€™t get it put togetherā€¦you knowā€¦because our life went to hell. Iā€™m almost in tears trying to follow the simplest of instructions because Iā€™m already hating this decision. I donā€™t need stress. I need an all inclusive vacation and a beach! It would have been cheaper and easier at this point.
I forgot the box with all the draperyā€¦we have no drapesā€¦holy crap Iā€™m an idiot. Kenneth didnā€™t pack foodā€¦weā€™re going to die.

Middle of the night it starts raining and the roof leaksā€¦you know whatā€¦screw it. Neighbors move in with two MASSIVE dogsā€¦and guess what? They barked the ENTIRE night. Now people get dramatic about that but Iā€™m telling you two three hundred fifty pound dogs barked every five minutes for 12 hours.
Not badā€¦we found a camp storeā€¦eggs and hotdogsā€¦$15ā€¦whatever we will live. We can hunt for a duck or something. Letā€™s get into natureā€¦letā€™s do the nature thing. Letā€™s build a fire!
Fire, tent building, laughingā€¦omg look at this weā€™re campingā€¦weā€™re being a familyā€¦my god we are succeeding! We got this.
I hear somethingā€¦is that water? I think thats waterā€¦
The toilet overflowedā€¦not even in a cute way. It overflowed so much that water came out the bumper. Pee water out of my bumper the leftover carpet is soaked. Squishy. Cussing. Cussing. Cussing. We can do this. Weā€™re doing family stuffā€¦this will all be a cute story someday. Look at us roasting hotdogs. Look the lakeā€¦dammmmnit letā€™s freaking bond! Donā€™t think about the piss carpetā€¦donā€™t think about the piss carpet.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.50.19 AM

Not a picture of a broken manā€¦but a ā€œIā€™m on the edgeā€ man note the hairā€¦the hair is an indicator of his internal sense of being.

We get up. this sucks. this really sucks. Letā€™s go buy a nice RV and really just enjoy ourselves. Letā€™s just freaking go.
Iā€™m in the truck. Kenneth is in the RV. Kenneth guns it and I tell the people at the checkin. Ayden and I drive and drive and drive and we just donā€™t see him. Itā€™s been at least 30minutes and I donā€™t see him. Try to call. No cell phones. Ok Ayden watch the phone and when you can call please do. We call no answer. Call again. Nothing. Call family.
He had a flat. Heā€™s ok.
Heā€™s callingā€¦ rudely hang up on family.
He says he went ā€œthe way google wanted him to goā€ well what the hell does that mean? Send me your location. I donā€™t have a location. Kenneth ya you do. Send me an address. Iā€™m on a FM road. OMGGGGGG. It takes me an hour to find this man. and when I do I find him like this.

And I thinkā€¦heā€™s dead. But no. Heā€™s not, he canā€™t get the spare down, he canā€™t get the tire off, he canā€™t do anything and we donā€™t have the proper tools to do anything. Heā€™s been trying for TWO HOURS to make anything budge. Did I ever mention I married a saint of a man? I did heā€™s amazing. Seriously almost angelic. He smiles when he sees me. Covered in sweat dirt and grease, raging headache and he smiles and kisses me. Swooning doesnā€™t even cover it he has my heart and soul for life. Water pours out of the RV when we jack it up. Water, in my sons grandmothers traditional way of life, symbolizes a disrespect of your financesā€¦thanks grandma.

We joke about setting fire to it and walking away. He jokes. Iā€™m serious.

A man comes from nowhere. Not a man. Jesus embodied as an air conditioner repair man. He has a pneumatic hammer driver with the proper fittings, together they have the strength (after another hour) to get the tire off and shift another tire. Back on the road. The saint of man says ā€œIā€™m going to follow you into town just incaseā€

we driveā€¦30mphā€¦all is wellā€¦get into tiny townā€¦I hear a gunshotā€¦see Kenneth turn into Walmart and stop in the entranceā€¦what the heckā€¦he jumps out of the RVā€¦the RV is dead. Againā€¦out of nowhereā€¦someone comes and says ā€œI got chainsā€ and DRAGS us to a corner of Walmart.

Here are the heres of the day.
DEAD. DEAD. DEAD. We have no idea whatā€™s going on. Itā€™s Sunday Kenneth needs to work in the morning. We talk to Walmart and tell them if this thing bursts into flames wait awhile before calling the fire department please and thank you.

I put it on craigslist and also the local Facebook group. We have a few bites but not much because Iā€™m honest about the condition in the listing. Someone calls us and tells us if we donā€™t get any offers he would be willing to low-ball us a realistic number. Ok, I admire the honesty. We get stood up twice and the low-baller comes out driving this sucker

and a hero offers us a truly lowball offer says he will let us tour his place. What place? Well, the awesome possum. Awesome. Possum. Let that sink in. Itā€™s a makerspace for people in ā€œvan lifeā€ tons of people living out in the middle of nowhere all building together. Very burning man but with pants.
Check it out: https://www.facebook.com/Awesome-Possum-Van-Works-and-Recreation-630977570585952/

We shake hands and go out to dairy queen to celebrate. We went and visited his setup and its truly amazing and made of people from every corner of the world.

Ugh. Shit show. Start to finish. But a fun finish.

19 Likes

Another beaut by a master teller of tales!

4 Likes

Dying to know if Stan. Or any of the other departed van livers live at Awesome Pawsome.

3 Likes

Great job Andy! Remarkable piece of furniture!!

2 Likes

He doesnt.

I use tube like this for, PC watercooling loops. You can use bend guids $11-$13 on Amazon, or by hand/eye. And you use a heatgun to prepare the bends

I made a couple of floating shelves with some walnut that I bought for a computer project. Used planer, jointer and table saw at the space then an edge guide on a router to cut the pocket and a woodowl auger bit for the holes, used Shepherd brackets (sold on Amazon or easy for $55) for their etsy mounting options and strength. Finished it with 45Ā° bevels some brass embellishments and ā€œOne Seal exoticā€

Ps: selling them if anyone is interested

15 Likes

Holy gravy thatā€™s enough stress for me to have just picked a direction and started walking.

2 Likes

I forged a couple of ā€œpickle pokersā€ (aka ā€œpickle stickersā€, and ā€œpickle hooksā€), which are used for fishing pickles and hot peppers out of the jar with/out getting the juice on your fingers.

They are forged from 6ā€ long pieces of 5/16ā€ round 304 stainless steel. I used stainless rather than mild steel so they can be washed without worrying about rusting.

19 Likes