Show and Tell April 2021

A Call to Fellowship

We gain inspiration from our fellow makers. Post a description and a photo or 2 of anything you are working on this month at the 'Space (or wherever) in this thread!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. Most of us never get to see the cool things people do at DMS all the time.

Posting here could inspire others to make something, helps our Public Relations team provide a look at what can be done at DMS on a blog post or other social media (with attribution to each maker of course).

:bulb: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content:

• a quality PHOTO
  • a notation about WHAT you have made
  • WHO you are (for attribution on the blog & other social media)
  • HOW you made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

Inhaler holder

23 Likes

Layered two glazes on a whim (I’m still learning!), and I’m obsessed with how it looks!

Amaco Iron Lustre all over the mug, with a bit of Indigo Float dribbled on the rim:

Unfortunately I put too thick of a layer on the bottom (at least I’m guessing that’s what caused it), so there’s a hairline crack the whole way across the bottom, so I can’t use it to drink out of, but at least I found a cool glaze combo I want to play more with, and the mug is still excellent for holding all my sharpies and pens :stuck_out_tongue:

20 Likes

Finished this board just recently. I think I mostly made it at dms and completed it home.

20 Likes

Made these TV Remote holders because the world needs more of them. :wink:

21 Likes

Bringing a replacement part for my new Miata RF to market: a carbon fiber side panel replacement for a part that comes from the factory as a pretty cheap looking piece of plastic in piano black.

The part is made out of carbon fiber + epoxy, and is an OEM fit replacement. Chris W. helped reverse engineer the original part and create the ‘pattern’ off of which a mold and then part was made off of. Most of that works was done outside of the space, but random bits of tooling were made at the space. The brackets were prototyped at the space in 3d fab, and some of the photography was done there too.

The part and some of its installation hardware:

The part installed:

23 Likes

love it, where will you sell it?

1 Like

A while back, I got a free butcher-block style coffee table from a neighbor who was moving out. It was too big for our needs, so I lopped 15” off of each end, routed the cuts to match the edge profiles, fabricated new legs for the cutoffs, and made two casual end tables for our couch - all for the cost of a couple of 2x4’s, some screws, and a bit of stain.

18 Likes

20 Likes

Takes on a whole new ominous meaning these days.

3 Likes

I made a “heat transfer to performance tshirt.” Siser easyweed stretch htv, onto an old 100% poly c9 branded tshirt. 325 degree f, 2 seconds to release backing, then 20 seconds to perm fuse.

Cut on cameo at force 22 speed 5, super slow and careful weed. Might try force 25.

While not done at the DMS, we have the tools to do so. Thanks @CaryF300 and @talkers for your mentorship.

21 Likes

First time in the Woodshop in at least 4 months.

Top to bottom:
Chrome Vertex Click Pencil with Cocobolo
Chrome Vertex Click Pen with Olivewood
Gunmetal Vertex Click Pen with Silver Galaxy acrylic
Chrome Vertex Click Pen with Silver Galaxy acrylic

17 Likes

Laser cut stencils for a painted polka dot background for 4 different vintage swimsuits.

19 Likes

Those are very nice pens! Where do you get the galaxy acrylic blanks?

The silver ones I had to order from Woodturningz.com; they’re listed under their “Diamond Series” of inlace acrylester. There are multiple colors - I’ve seen the black version at Rockler in Richardson.

1 Like

@Hardsuit
Cool project
How will you use the stencils? Airbrush? What kind of paint?

1 Like

Spray tacked to matboard, then cheap acrylic paint applied with foam roller. It’s already applied on the board there with the pink polka dots.

You get an interesting effect on some of the dots, there’s a very fine dark line around the edge of the paint from the soot of the burned paper edges.

The paint’s been lightly sanded here to lighten it up and give it a little bit of weathering.

13 Likes

Interesting. What is the stencil material?

Made this for my wife. It’s a Spider Camera Holster Belt. If you go to Scarborough Ren Fest you may see her with it.

20 Likes