Show and Tell April 2020

So how long are you making your “restraints”?

2 Likes

Juuuust long enough…
(I’ll show myself out…)

2 Likes

(Whips out the fistiCUFFS)

2 Likes

Various resin piece formed into a crystal like structure. Some with glow in the dark properties.

8 Likes

My project for the past week has been putting binding on five quilts. These are all quilts made for the Covers for Kids project of the Quilter’s Guild of Dallas. The finished quilts are distributed among our three charities - Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center, Vogel Alcove, and Ronald McDonald House.

I actually made the top for the pink quilt out of leftover blocks from a baby quilt I made earlier. So getting to finish it was kind of sweet.

14 Likes

I made this belt the other day.

Today I took an online class and made this.

I started doing leather work last June and it has been addicting. I mainly use DMS for making templates and various things to help me along the way.

11 Likes

Helped my neighbor make a bracket for his fuse holder for his Tacoma. I cut the aluminum with my Portaband, drilled and tapped the holes. I’ll let him clean it up, ie round/soften the corners and bolt it in.

8 Likes

Tried some bead making yesterday. It was a lot harder doing it outdoors than at the space. You can’t really see the flame outside, and when the wind blows your glass cools really quickly.

Still, had a few of them come out good.

IMG_20200418_162034_680

10 Likes

Got my 3D printed N95 mask nearly complete.

Witness me! It’s all shiny and chrome!

GamBody model modded by a friend of mine to improve internal airflow and accept standard 3M filters.

15 Likes

All ready for a trip to the grocery store! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@laserdogs made this drawing for me from a pic of one of my dogs, sent me the SVG and I cut it on my Silhouette and weeded it (nearly going blind!) and pressed on a shirt here at home. Love how it turned out! Thanks Karen! :smiley:

10 Likes

Teamwork for the win!

2 Likes

Made my hubby a shirt of his dog this weekend too! Try weeding a 4" graphic :wink:

16 Likes

what are you using to silhouette the pictures? I have had some trouble with a few solid colored dogs that don’t show a lot of hairs or shadows.

And to keep in the spirit, I have been messing around with Eink and Python. I used an image I silhouetted of my old dog as a test image.

3 Likes

Just a first pass, playing around. I remove the background in procreate, then process in Imaengine app on my iPad. For vinyl, I probably wouldn’t have as many tiny pieces…

9 Likes

CNCFirst

I was attempting to use the engraver/ CnCJS server for the first time. The project was to take a sketch and to make a bas relief using gimp, inkscape and fusion 360. Later I hope to Eagle cad to make pcbs.

2 Likes

My brother in Ohio has a Sport Class experimental home-built airplane that he flies in and out of his farm using a grass covered airstrip. He is can legally maintain the aircraft by himself.

Last Fall as he came in for a landing, a gust of wind blew him into a soybean field nearby. The rough landing accidentally triggered the Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT). The ELT device is located behind the instrument panel. The RF energy of that transmitter caused the instrument panel to malfunction because they are so close to each other.

The manufacture of the instrument panel is out of business. No data was available to repair the unit and the typical avionic repair centers would not handle it.

I took the display panel apart and attempted to repair it. I traced out a schematic and discovered it used an 8 bit 8031 processor, the circuitry was all thru hole technology. The RF energy of ELT caused the tantalum capacitors to short out and destroyed a very sensitive A/D converter.

It took several months to troubleshoot and repair the unit, just finished it earlier today. I have a complete avionics test lab in my house and was able to re-calibrate all the functions. It is now ready to be shipped to my brother for installation back into the aircraft. Since this is a home-built experimental class of aircraft, all maintenance can be done by the owner or others, no FAA certifications are required. No, you will not catch me flying in this bucket of bolts.

18 Likes

Easter tiki cups that my kids glazed:

14 Likes

Can he move the ELT further away without messing up his useful weight and balance?

I suppose the antenna could be moved further away into the tail section without affecting the weight and balance of this aircraft. Interesting note…my brother did not know that the ELT was triggered on that landing until the Feds showed up at his door a few hours later, it had been transmitting for 5 hours. The Feds saw that the aircraft was still in one piece parked in his barn. They did a reset of the ELT and left. My brothers comment was, “Any landing that you can walk away from is considered a good landing, especially for an aircraft that you built yourself from a kit of parts.”

3 Likes