Show and Tell April 2020

Please show off anything made OUTSIDE DMS, since we’re CLOSED owing to COVID-19

Post a picture and description of anything you are working on at the 'Space here!

It can be anything from a small craft project to a large CNC router project to building a table to 3D printing to a science experiment and so much more. There are lots of people doing cool things at DMS all the time, but most of us don’t get to see it. Post it here and share the interesting things you are doing at Dallas Makerspace this month!

Posting here helps not only promote Dallas Makerspace, but could inspire others to make something. It will also help PR post a monthly look at what can be done here on a blog post or other social media ( with attribution to each maker of course ).

:bulb: NOTE: Please try to include the following on each post, to help make for richer social media content!

• a QUALITY photo
  • a notation about WHAT you’ve made
  • WHO you are ( for attribution on the blog )
  • HOW you’ve made it
  • and WHY
3 Likes

I’ll kick it off since people kept asking and I haven’t been down here recently.

This is my truck on the family farm, and what I make all those steel modifications for. I recently got them powdercoated through @Skalywags shop.

It’s pretty wet right now, and whilst you can see all the beautiful green it sinks and ruts pretty fast right now so I’m happy I put in some strut shims to squeeze the larger wheels.

Front and rear bumpers are made from .120 wall 1-3/4" DOM, bed mounting cage made from 1-1/4" * 0.095 Chromoly for weight (with exception of main hoop which is .125 wall DOM)

5 point harness bar in the cab us made from .095 Chromoly. This vehicle already has beefy B pillars and a reinforced roof due to the sunroof, so until it’s time to prep it for a Baja isn’t getting a full rollcage just yet.

Cheers,
-Tails

10 Likes

Finally finished my mosaic candle holder.

20 Likes

I made bread!

Unfortunately, I overproofed it, so there’s a hole in the middle (insert sad horn noises).

Oh well, I’ll make french toast and croutons out of the good parts and try again.

16 Likes

That’s so pretty!

1 Like

Holes or not, looks tasty :smiley:

1 Like

Its delicious with good butter!

I added a hammer rack to my anvil (actually a couple of days ago).

Also played with twisting rebar for a more interesting texture on S-hooks.

I also worked on making cast iron skillet pizza for the first time. I made it last night but I finished off the leftovers in April :).

18 Likes

Made my own ground beef using our new meat grinder, since we couldn’t find ground beef at the time. I’m going to get more sausage tubes so I can make sausage as well.

16 Likes

What cut(s) do you use? I like to use bottom round, which is pretty lean but I can find it pretty reliably for a good price at Costco. I actually prefer leaner ground beef - less heartburn and I feel like I get a better maillard reaction when browning it. I’ve been considering switching to a blend of bottom round and brisket for better flavor, though. I grind with my Magimix (Robocoup) food processor.

1 Like

I used chuck. I almost always use leaner meat as well. 93/7 or 96/4. I was surprised how quick it ground it. As fast as I could put it in, it would grind it. I wanted the metal grinder for our KitchenAid but we couldn’t find it after looking for over an hour.

1 Like

I was going to get the grinder attachment for my kitchenaid, but I was told they’re harder to clean. All my magimix parts are dishwasher safe and there are no little hidey holes for things to get stuck in, so I’m pretty happy with it.

I got one for my kitchenaid, but I got a 3rd party one that’s stainless and easier to clean. I’ll report back when I finally use it.

2 Likes

I made 640 of the shield parts in 28 min yesterday

17 Likes

I have the steel attachment and they’re really not hard to clean at all. Also, if you have a super lean meat but do want a little more fat in it, just add bacon (I get the 3lb ends and pieces bag because its cheaper). it comes in particularly handy when making a chicken sausage and we like to use breast meat. Who doesn’t like bacon and chicken sausage?

4 Likes

I’m decorating the Mallet that I made in Mike’s class. Anyone know the best wire type to use for making one’s own tips? I have a small swirly design that I want to repeat over and over and it’d be so much easier if I just could brand it. Most of my wire is decorative jewelry type wire but I have a bunch of different gauges.

10 Likes

I’ve been printing face shields for a nursing friend and his team at his hospital. Sent a batch of 52 face shield frames off to him today. This is mix of a simple, thinner design and the NIH-approved design which I’ve switched over to making. In addition, I’ve punched out 200 face shields to go with them (they fit either frame) as these are more fragile and may need more frequent replacement.

22 Likes

You gave me a craving so I made some pizza too!

First time making it from scratch, but it turned out pretty amazing. The one on the right has pepperoni, mushroom, and green olive. The one on the left has a pepperoni, mushroom, capicola, and bacon with a drizzle topping of serrano infused honey.

19 Likes

I made cookies.

15 Likes