Show and Tell April 2020

That sounds awesome!

1 Like

I’ve got the wrong kind of ink and the wrong kind of paper, but I figured I would try to print the blocks that I carves last month. So far it’s not working out great… But l will keep at it and see if I can get it right.

11 Likes

I’m trying to get more comfortable with craftwork outside my “comfort zone”. For a first attempt, he’s not too shabby, I hope. I can see the mistakes and know how to correct for the next attempt.

Worsted weight yarn with a 5.5mm hook. Based on a Critterbeans pattern from Etsy.

His name is Froderick. He has personality instead of perfection.

25 Likes

I love it! You might also enjoy this pattern free tiny whale pattern, if you want to add to your sea of creatures. :whale:

3 Likes

Faux leather earrings. Thinking of having a class on these and more when the space opens back up :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Plans for my wife’s birthday were canceled due to the whole pandemic thing, so my son and I made her a chocolate cake from scratch.

18 Likes

Never too young to start teaching them about cooking.

2 Likes

So I’ve been throwing around the idea to make a leather pouch for my Gerber 600 Multiplier since I got it in November. The Nylon pouch it comes with is garbage which is why I haven’t been wearing it. So I decided last night to go ahead & wet form one. I used some of my scraps I had of 7-8 ounce veg-tan. I used my food saver to wet form it & let it dry overnight. I actually had to put it in the oven at 150 for a while this afternoon since it was still damp. I made the belt loop, barge cemented it. I could not find my acid brushes so I improvised with Q-tips to spread the glue. I saddle stitched the belt loop on. I then glued the 2 halves together, then cut them to what I felt was right. I did mess up & cut the wet mold a little short, so I couldn’t get stitches into the bottom. I did also fubar a bit when cutting the leather to final size, I got a bit of a taper from the exacto. Not enough to redo the whole thing though. I did contemplate a bit if I wanted to leave the section to snap it closed or have just a friction fit. I put the snap on, not the finish I cared for but it will work. I then saddle stitched the 2 halves followed by dying it timber brown.

30 Likes

I made a mini version of my last steamroller print.

11 Likes

MMMMmmmm…excuse my Robocoup envy, lol!

1 Like

Just a couple of things that kept me busy last week.

!
!
!

21 Likes

I have been 3d printing and purchasing parts since Feb. I am calling this mk1 as I already see the limitations and things to improve.

MDF spoil board is 4’x4’

11 Likes

What design are you using? I’ve looked at MPCNC and a few others, but I don’t recognize that one.

Tops cnc. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3813481
Looks like his heavy version improves on a lot of the same things I want to.

I am going to continue improving this one’s electronics adding limit switches, homing, and z axis zeroing while I modify the design to have beefier x axis and spindle carriage. I am also debating linear rails over drive screws as this one is slow moving. I have really learned a ton more building this than I ever could buying or just operating one.

1 Like

I had the same experience building my first 3D printer. One learns a lot about a tool’s inner workings when you build your own.

1 Like

I’m trying to perfect a workflow for laser engraved paintings. Struggling to keep it from warping but it’s progress not perfection

14 Likes

I have been working on a MSA mask to accept this custom resin printed filter (resin so it can be placed under UV to kill virus). The 3D model is at https://www.redpah.com/product/4928/filter-cup-assy-for-msa-mask if you want to print our own.

My one man engineering office in Richardson has been practicing social distancing for 16 years and my three 3D filament printers, resin printer, and Tormach mill are available if anyone needs something during these odd times since the MakerSpace is closed.

7 Likes

Right before the shutdown, I purchased my own vinyl cutter so that I could play at home when I didn’t have time to drive to DMS. I’ve been playing around with making decals. Here are some I made of 2 of my dogs

22 Likes

Which vinyl cutter did you get? Those look very good.

Thanks! It’s a Silhouette Cameo 4.