Sept 12, 2019 Open Tours

We had 32 visitors sign liability waivers, and 4 new orders created.

3 Standard memberships
0 Family Add-ons
1 Starving Hacker memberships

We had 181 unique members badge in today.

6 Likes
Date Visitors Starving Hackers Standard Memberships Family Add-ons New Accounts Conversion % Unique Members Swipe in
20190725 57 2 8 2 12 21.05 —
20190801 67 5 5 0 10 14.93 —
20190808 66 0 6 2 8 12.12 —
20190815 58 2 9 0 11 18.97 —
20190822 49 0 10 3 13 26.53 —
20190829 53 1 2 0 3 5.66 161
20190905 45 3 5 0 8 17.78 169
20190912 32 1 3 0 4 12.50 181

We tried running considerably smaller tours last night. I think the largest group was 6 people. Not sure that it made a measurable difference.

5 Likes

I would think groups of less than ten would be most effective. It seems like I have seen groups of 20 or more in the past. Its like a herd of people coming by if you pass them in the hallway.

Last night @Kevin brought a group through @NickWebb Arduino classroom. I showed my mini Times Square Arduino sign and told them about other classes. When I have a Thursday night class, I often tell the tour guides to feel free to bring the group in. I spend about two minutes telling them what we are doing and then they move on. Occasionally folks come back after the class for more details. This is not a suggestion for other teachers but works well for me.

5 Likes

The tour was great, although I jumped out a bit early. I had actually joined as a member online a few days prior and signed up for the new member orientation, but when I got there, I didn’t realize the tour and the orientation were separate affairs. When we got to the classroom where they were holding orientation, I realized my mistake, and Adam made it clear I was welcome to jump out of the tour to join the class. It was an error on my part because I remember seeing both on the schedule, but the President (sorry I’m terrible with names) let me join in the orientation late and went over the things I missed after she finished with the presentation she had already started.

All in all, it was a great experience and I’m excited to start working on a few projects. The only bad thing to come out if it, is now I can’t decide what project I want to start on first. I can’t tell you how excited I was when I found out about about the equipment available as well as the expansions planned for digital media, as I’m also a musician and having access to quality mulitrack audio recording equipment and software was not something I was expecting to have access to with my membership.

Thanks to all that were involved in the tour and orientation, and I look forward to meeting some more folks around the space when I’m there.

9 Likes

That’s because I had the slides set to Andrew’s name. It was a pleasure having you in the class and glad to have you as a new member!

2 Likes

Adam, I just returned to DMS about 1:20 this afternoon after being gone for 8 days. If the Woodshop was as filthy last night as it is now, it wasn’t much to look at. I don’t know who has been using the CNC since Sept 5th, but I don’t think they have much familiarity with a broom or a vacuum. Rest of the shop is much the same. So very disappointing to see so little pride of ownership being shown by DMS members.

I had people in my tour ask about why the woodshop was so hot, loud, and dusty/dirty. I explained that we were working on a new dust collection system, and we were working the kinks out, but that explanation will only be useful so long.

1 Like

You’re not nearly as bad as the person a year or so back that went about 20 minutes before asking me when we’d start actually start working on the POTTERY portion of the class that she had signed up for :expressionless:

2 Likes

I was quite disappointed that I didn’t get to make a ceramic bowl during the tour. Honestly, you guys need to step it up and meet people’s expectations. :rofl:

2 Likes

Come over here.
Now grab this end of the Tesla Coil.
Congrats! You’re now broadcasting in many bands.

Pardon my “sarcasm”. It’s been an “interesting” week.

See – she’d probably signed up for my Throwing Demo (not-a-class-not-a-class-not-a-class), and got confused/sucked in by the tour.

2 Likes